ARCH - Ranking System

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Fri Jul 14 18:35:21 PDT 2000

Let me tell you an old archer story before I get going here.  A few years
back while shooting the IKCAC I got into a bad habit.  If I didn't do well
on the Underhand round, I wouldn't finish the score.   Then, if I didn't do
well on the Archery's Choice I wouldn't finish the score.  I finally got a
really good underhand round and a pretty good archer's choice.  But because
I had not been shooting the pavise round too, I blew the score.

I'm very positive.  I'm positive to get a ranking *or* an achievment you'll
have to shoot for score.  I'm also positive that if folks aren't going to
shoot for score, for what ever reason, then we don't need it.  We can call
it whatever we want to.  The fact remains, no scoring, no awarding of what
ever we call the whatsits.

Unless the achievement levels are all equal to each other you have just
created another ranking  system.  As  soon as you keep a score, you have a
ranking system.  Recording the averages of the RR establishes a ranking
system.   If the score doesn't matter, don't keep track of it.

What is wrong with a ranking system?