ARCH - a place to shoot

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Sun Jul 16 11:44:09 PDT 2000

Greetings and Hi There,

Here are the SCA regs on that.

Gilli

SCA TARGET ARCHERY
SUPPLEMENTARY RECOMMENDATIONS

MISCELLANEOUS EQUIPMENT

1.   Any type of quiver may be used, with the exception of one that attaches
to the
     bow.

2.   It is recommended that arm and/or finger protection be used, according
to the
     preference of the archer.

3.   It is strongly recommended that the ends of the string be served, and
that a
     serving cover the nocking area of the string. It should be noted that
Japanese and
     Flemish style strings, which are rarely served at the ends, are
acceptable.
RANGE SET-UP
     It is recommended that the range and safety zone be posted with signs
in
     addition to the required perimeter markers of ropes, poles, etc.

SUGGESTED RANGE DIMENSIONS

     The following are suggested dimensions for the range and safety zones
for target
     and specialty competitions. These are general guidelines. The actual
sizes may
     vary, depending on terrain, the archers, and other conditions. It is
better to err on
     the side of safety with too much space than not enough.

For Target Shoots:

1.   The safety zone behind the farthest target should extend at least 40
yards back, or
     for 1/2 the distance from the line to the farthest target, whichever is
greater.

2.   For shoots of 50 yards or less, the safety zone to the sides of the
shooting line and
     targets should extend outward at a 30- to 45-degree angle from both
ends of the
     shooting line to a line even with the furthest target, and continue
straight back
     from there to the required distance.
3.   For shoots of over 50 yards, the safety zone to the sides of the
shooting line and
     targets should extend outward at a 30- to 45-degree angle from both
ends of the
     shooting line to a line 50 yards away or 1/4 the distance to the far
end of the
     safety zone, whichever is greater, and continue straight back from
there to the
     required distance.
For Specialty Shoots:

1.   For clout shoots, the safety zone should extend beyond the target for
at least 1/2
     the target distance, and to each side for at least 1/5 the target
distance. (It is
     recommended that the Target Archery Marshal arrange for any archers who
are
     not familiar with clout shooting to practice in advance. They should
start with
     their bows aimed at a low angle and work their way up. This will help
prevent
     overshooting the safety zone.)

2.   For flight shoots, the safety zone distance should be at least 300
yards, or the
     maximum range of the heaviest bow allowed. It is not recommended that a
flight
     shoot be held if space is limited.
3.   For roving courses, the safety zone distance shall be a minimum of one
and one-
     half times the distance to the target.  Include special consideration
for the angles
     and distances required for the other targets in the course.  No target
should be
     placed within the shooter's line of sight with another target.

RANGE COURTESY:
1.   When going to retrieve arrows, first pick up any of your arrows lying
short of the
     target.
2.   Remove arrows by "worrying" them out. Do not yank them out.

3.   Do not handle anyone's equipment unless you have asked for and received
the
     owner's permission.

4.   Do not remove other archers' arrows unless you have asked for and
received the
     owner's permission.

5.   Keep distraction of the archers on the shooting line to a minimum.