ARCH - Champions - History

arthur starkey artairmacmora at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 20 17:48:54 PDT 2000

Open letter,

Greetings to all combatants in Ansteorra,

At this time I must write this to set the record straight.

     A couple years ago I proposed a scenario in which two teams of fighters begin at opposite ends of a 100 foot field.  The teams consist of one combat archer and one heavy weapons fighter.  The archers are limited to 10 feet at their end of the field.  The heavy weapons fighters have full range of the field.  There is a 15 foot no fire zone in front of the archers for safety.  The 50 feet in the center of the field is an open battle zone.

              I                         I                                                     I                           I

  10 ft     I        15 ft         I                     50 ft                         I          15 ft         I      10 ft

              I                         I                                                     I                           I

              I                         I                                                     I                           I

              I                         I                                                     I                           I

The field is 50 feet wide (drawing not to scale).

     This field is to be located near the regular list field and close enough as to allow those fighters who use combat archery to easily go there while still in armor to fight a challenge the same way they do on the regular list field.  They would record a win the same as if they fought a one on one on the list field and it would count as a win on the list field. Fighters who use both archery and heavy weapons are also allowed to thro their bows down and take up a heavy weapon.  A kill against an archer would occur when he is hit by an arrow or when a heavy weapons fighter advances into the 15 foot zone, points his weapon at the archer an shouts kill.  This allows for non-contact archers to participate.

     The preliminary approval for this competition by Sir Kief was based I believe on the use of safety barriers between the combatants and the spectators.  There is an arrow safety netting available from some suppliers that allow the spectators an unobstructed view.  If this netting was a Kingdom possession, it could be available for most events I would think.

     The conclusion seems to be fighters can gain the same credit on this field as they would on the other list field.  They would gain valuable experience fighting alongside an archer on other battlefields.

     When Raimon and I were discussing the possibility of his variation of these scenario,  we disagreed on it’s working.  I did not like his interpretation.  I would appreciate it if you did not mix the two ideas.

     I would like to discuss the subject in more detail with anyone interested in perusing it and refining the idea to where it is usable at events.

In the service of the dream and Ansteorra,

Ld. Artair Macmora