ARCH - Full score shoot

Eadric Anstapa eadric at barley.scabrewer.com
Fri Jul 28 23:38:15 PDT 2000

I actually really like the provision that at least one score be shot outside
your local group.  I like the idea that participation in something other
than your local weekly  backyard practice is required.  It is only ONE event
away from home in an entire year, and ONLY if you care about the ranking
system.  I don't think that it will be too hard to accomplish.  In fact I
think it will be pretty easy.

What is an event outside you local area?  It is an event being sponsored by
another local branch.  You gotta leave zip codes out of the picture because
groups often sponsoring events at sites that are technically within another
groups boundaries. (How many groups have used the Canton site?)

In the coming month every weekend but one has archery at an event on the
Kingdom Calendar.  (and on the remaining weekend, Aug. 19, we will have our
monthly practice here)

August 2000
4-6  Northern Regional Warlord - Northkeep
11-13 Lughnasad - Loch Ruadh (Fort Worth, TX)
25-27 Mooneschadowe Guardian - Mooneschadowe (Stillwater,OK)

Looking to September there is archery going on at least at one event every
weekend of the month.  What is more they are being hosted by groups in the
Coastal, Southern, Central, and Northern regions.

September 2000
1-3 Wiesenfeuer Baronial - Wiesenfeuer (OKC, OK)
8-10 Stargate Baronial - Stargate (Houston, TX)
15-17 Defender of the Fort - Ravens Fort (Huntsville, TX)
22-24 Elfsea Defender - Elfsea (Ft. Worth, TX)
29-1 Battle of the Pines - Greywood (Nacogdoches, TX)

That's two months out of twelve and everyone should have at least 7 chances
at an event out of their local area and October looks like it will have a
number of chances also.

Now all of these events may not have Royal Round shoots planned but I bet if
you ask the marshal in charge then something can be arranged. (particularly
with advance notice)  I'll be bringing extra targets to Ravens Fort and when
we are done with the Royal Huntsman shoot I bet Fearghus wont mind if we
all record a Royal Round score.

Yes, to hold an event and have it count it must have been announced in
either a local newsletter or the Blackstar.  Meaning it must be an official
i.e. "calendar" event, either local or kingdom.

Furthermore, for the event to be official there must be representation by
the proper SCA authority.  This means you should have a warranted archery
marshal present just as you must have an warranted rapier or heavy weapons
marshal to hold those events.  If you don't have a locally authorized
archery marshal and want to hold an event then get in touch with your
regional archery marshal and see if they can arrange one for you.  The
loaning out of archery marshals is the whole reason for marshals "at-large".

Lets go out and shoot and have fun and as long as the marshals in charge do
diligence and report the scores I don't think an active archer should have
much trouble getting the requires shooting done within a year.

Regards,

Eadric