ARCH - siege weapon utilization

Lawrence D. Ruiz lruiz at interconnect.net
Mon Jul 10 15:00:23 PDT 2000

> I am assuming from your statement then, that it is not common for the
> opposing side to have fast flanking units to take out the siege weapons at
> Gulf Wars.  I am relying on experience from other areas and am starting to
> think that the course of battle may be different here
> <<grin>>

Our sally from the castle at this Gulf Wars had never been done before, so
yes, it is uncommon for the flanking units to take out the siege weapons.
The Kingdom Warlord, I am sure, has a reserve unit to stop any flanking unit
that may sally from the castle and protect his ballistas.  I speak for Gulf
Wars here.
For the various other small melees we will be utilizing siege weapons at
(Three Kings comes to mind), the commander of the side(s) with siege weapons
will need to have a reserve unit to protect their siege weapons or the
result will be obvious.  As the melees become even smaller, the unit may be
focused on protecting the siege weapon as a sort of "defend the flag" sort
of encounter, and in this scenario, yes, your mixed arms unit would be most
advantageous.

> So are the siege weapons only used in castle/static battles or are they
also
> used in the initial opening of open field melees?
>
> Pet.

At Gulf War, Saturday, during the castle battle, is the only use of siege
weapons.  The Blackstar has been very good about announcing other
competitions in Kingdom utilizing siege weapons, the recent Bordermarch
Baronial being the last event to do so.  Autumn Melees in Bordermarch and
Three Kings as well as Siege of the Abbey will be utilizing siege weapons
that I can think of off the top of my head.  Siege of the Abbey will host
the first that I know of in this kingdom, Siege Weapons Defender Tourney.

I hope this answers your ?s.
Lawrence