ARCH - Ranking System

Eadric Anstapa smills at barley.scabrewer.com
Fri Jul 14 14:06:00 PDT 2000

Bob Dewart <gilli at seacove.net> said:

> Does it really mater if we use the names from 95 or
> not?  If I'm not mistaken, here at the half way in the
> season point, I'm the only one in the
> Kingdom that has shot enough to have a rating.  I have
> 3 Period and 4 Open scores.
>
> Are more folks going to shoot for score?  Or can we put
> this back on the
> shelf for another 5 years?
>
> Deeds not words folks.

Can we try to stay positive here and not say pessimistic
things like "Does it really matter"?  I think is would be
better to encourage people to shoot rather than berate
them for not shooting or to be pessimistic because only
one person has submitted enough scores so far for an
complete average.

Lets face it many people have no desire to compete and as
strange as it may seem some don't even have a desire to
keep score.  Some people are too intimidated to shoot for
score or to compete and sometimes it seems like that the
feeling in this forum is that if you are not going to
compete in the IKAC/IKCAC or participate as a combat
archer in the wars then you are not really needed or
wanted.  I have also read and heard comments like "I
didn't help the kingdom average"  or "No need to submit
the scores because it wouldn't help the kingdom
average".  This is entirely too much emphasis on
IKAC/IKCAC.  Personally, I feel we need to promote
personal achievements.  I have personal goals set because
they are meaningful for me and will help me enjoy this
game more.  I hope that in meeting my goals I can help
other people enjoy the game a bit more also.

As bizarre as this sounds, perhaps the best archer in our
canton won't even keep score.  He comes out at shoots at
most practices and shoots a LOT when he does show up but
he wont keep score.  I watched him closely last weekend
and I think he might have a 60 Roryal Round average if we
kept score.  Score or not we want him to continue to show
up and enjoy himself and share our fellowship.  His goals
for archery are different than my own

Let me say that I am against calling what we hare trying
to put in place a "Ranking" system.  I don't like the
idea that someone should feel out-ranked or that because
someone is a "Marksman" and another a "Bowman" that
someone should feel that the Marksman should be in charge
or have precedence at the range.

If we attach names to the various levels I would prefer
to call this an "Achievement" system.  I thought this was
also the concensus of those gathered at Gilli's on July 1.

The whole purpose of an achievement system is to
encourage people to shoot and to encourage them in a
positive manner.  The purpose should not be to rank
individuals against one another (but I realize despite
better intentions it will happen anyway).

If a person sees that their average is just a few points
shy of the next achievement level, then that is positive
encouragement for them to shoot a little more and work
just a little harder to reach that next level.  When they
do, someone once again gives some positive reinforcement
by presenting them with appropriate tassels for them to
display.

With or without a system of defined achievement levels in
place Iaen and I will have Royal Round averages on the
web next week.  For those who have not yet submitted
three scores their current average will be posted but
will be marked as incomplete.  Once we get this going and
scores are being submitted regularly we will stop posting
the incomplete averages.

Marshals, if you have been in charge of any shoot this
calendar year and still have records for Royal Rounds
scores that Iaen does not have please email then to him
ASAP.

In Service,

Eadric