ARCH - Attitudes...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Jun 6 06:54:16 PDT 2000

Good Morning,

  As I see it, this is mostly a matter of attitude and presentation.
  This is something that the Barony I live in has dealt with for many
  years off and on. It is something that is very difficult to see form
  the inside, and even more difficult to try and resolve in a manner
  acceptable to all.

  Since I am have mentioned problems, I will try to describe them better
  and suggest possible solutions.

--

  First, guilt versus encouragement. This is a matter of simple
  wording when writing and talking to people. You need to phrase things

  For example:

Guilt
  I can't believe Ansteorra doesn't have more/better IKAC scores. Why
  aren't you people shooting them? Can't you spend the time to do it?
  After all, if it was important to you, you'd take the time to do it.

Encouraging
  One of the ways that Ansteorra can prove it's got some of the best
  archers in the world is by having IKAC scores. What can we do to help
  get more scores? How can we make the time to get them done? These are
  important to make the Kingdom and us look good, so let's make the time
  to do it.

  This is a matter of putting a proper spin on things. Yes, it does mean
  that you have to watch what you say, but if you want to persuade
  people, it is a much better method.

--

  Second, the list field. This is simply doing what most actual groups
  do in the SCA. There is someone that is considered the welcomer. Many

  The most important people to remember this are those that are
  considered the "establishment" for archery. This means Gilli, Talon
  and Plachoya off the top of my head. These are the people who are
  going to set the attitude of it all. These are the people who are
  supposed to be admired for what they have done. Their tone is what
  will be taken away from the archery range. This is what will kill or
  nurture archery in this Kingdom.

--

  Finally, asking vs providing. Instead of requiring someone to ask to
  shoot, why not offer it to them instead. This is more open and will

--

  Btw, cost for archery is not the issue. For me to get started with
  archery, it is a *lot* cheaper than for me to get started with heavy

  That is not to say that it is not a good idea to allow people to borrow
  equipment to try it out though. When I bring my crossbow out to
  fighter practice (where we practice with combat tips), I will generally
  leave my crossbow with the range so it can be borrowed for those who'd
  like to try.

Ciao,