ARCH - Archery Question

Mauer, Eric eric.mauer at attws.com
Tue Jun 6 12:51:22 PDT 2000

Gilli writes:

> [...]

Very true, but trivia aside, my point was that it's possible to split up the
shooting to allow people who do other things to shoot without a significant
impact on those striving for IKAC score.

True enough, but again, you're sidestepping the point-there's a small
community of
people who's primary SCA focus is Archery. There's a much larger group whose
focus
is primarily elsewhere, but who will shoot if it's convenient and fun.

My experience has been that the smaller group spends a lot of time being
upset that
the larger group ignores their accomplishments, but that same small group
does precious little to encourage interest and participation.

(Gilli)
>these competition to compete with their far off brethren.  So why can't
you?<<<<

(Tuhtahl)
>Because I don't care about proving that I'm the best archer in the known
>world (I'm not), or proving that Ansteorra has the best archers in the
known world (it doesn't).

(Gilli)
>>>Perhaps you just said it, "I don't care."<<<

The assumption here is that because I don't care about IKAC, I don't care
about archery in general. Nothing could be further from the truth.

<Tuhtahl>
>I'm interested in archery as a test of my personal skill and concentration,
>as a recreation of what my persona did, as fun and relaxation, as an
>effective tool in my arsenal of combat skills.

<snip>

(Gilli)
things.<<<<

How, exactly does kingdom ranking have anything to do with striving for
personal skill,
with recreation and persona, with fun, or with skill in combat? Kingdom
ranking matters only to other archers, not to the SCA public.

If you're saying that skill at each comes through practice, that is
certainly true, but
I don't see how an obsessive focus on IKAC does anything but detract from
the appeal for those who shoot for other reasons.

Alaric

Eric Mauer
Customer Care and Government Team Lead
Austin Customer Operations
AT&T Wireless Services
Office: 512-436-7354   Fax: 512-436-7708
eric.mauer at attws.com

"Cast off limiting thoughts and return to true emptiness. Stand in the
midst of the Great Void. This is the secret of the Way of the
Warrior."-Morihei Ueshiba