ARCH - Archery Question

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Tue Jun 6 13:39:28 PDT 2000

Tuhtahl writes:

>Very true, but trivia aside, my point was that it's possible to split up
the
>shooting to allow people who do other things to shoot without a significant
>impact on those striving for IKAC score.

Gilli says:

The rules have always allowed for interruptions in the shooting.  I can not
help if others don't allow that when they run the shoot.  On many occasions
while running an IKCAC heavy fighters would come over in between rounds on
the list field and shoot some on the archery field.  By the end of the day,
they had done both.  The rule just say that for the scores to count they
must be finished on the day they were started.  I do think how ever that if
the person really wanted to do both that the marshal in charge would come up
with some arrangement to help out.  Could it be that the people just thought
it was in the to hard to do box and didn't even try?  Probably so.

>True enough, but again, you're sidestepping the point-there's a small
>community of
>people who's primary SCA focus is Archery. There's a much larger group
whose
>focus
>is primarily elsewhere, but who will shoot if it's convenient and fun.
>
>My experience has been that the smaller group spends a lot of time being
>upset that
>the larger group ignores their accomplishments, but that same small group
>does precious little to encourage interest and participation.

No side step intended.  Contratary to popular belief, shooting archery is
not my main focus.  I don't think it's many of the other archers main focus.
I do a few other things like, make arrows, leather work, make award insignia
and cook.  I think my main focus is being a pain in the butt  :).

On the convenient and fun and fun thing, how long do you think it will be
fun if almost every time there's one of those fun shoots one of the small
group wins it?  I get growned at almost every time because I do win alot.
And mostly if it's not me than it's one of the others in that small group.
I'm not saying that shooting for score is the end all of archery.   But you
do get ample practice to see you  through almost any fun shoot.

>(Gilli)
>>these competition to compete with their far off brethren.  So why can't
>you?<<<<
>
>(Tuhtahl)
>>Because I don't care about proving that I'm the best archer in the known
>>world (I'm not), or proving that Ansteorra has the best archers in the
>known world (it doesn't).
>
>(Gilli)
>
>The assumption here is that because I don't care about IKAC, I don't care
>about archery in general. Nothing could be further from the truth.
>
><Tuhtahl>
>>I'm interested in archery as a test of my personal skill and
concentration,
>>as a recreation of what my persona did, as fun and relaxation, as an
>>effective tool in my arsenal of combat skills.

Have you ever shot an IKAC or an IKCAC?  I'm inclined to think not if you're
still looking for a challenge of your personal skill and concentraion.  Give
it try and let me know.
><snip>
>
>(Gilli)
>things.<<<<
>
>How, exactly does kingdom ranking have anything to do with striving for
>personal skill,
>with recreation and persona, with fun, or with skill in combat? Kingdom
>ranking matters only to other archers, not to the SCA public.

You don't feel a little down hearted when you hear that Ansteorra isn't
first in what ever it is?  I do.  That's why I started doing this 11 - 12
years ago.

>If you're saying that skill at each comes through practice, that is
>certainly true, but
>I don't see how an obsessive focus on IKAC does anything but detract from
>the appeal for those who shoot for other reasons.

Again, have you ever shot an IKAC or an IKCAC?

 I'll tell you what is fun.  On that cold Sunday morning when you just want
to pack up and go home, but there are folks on the range so you go shoot
too.  Then on the speed round for the 50 yard target you're reaching for
your 14th, then 15th and 16th arrow before time runs out .  And  you think
well, this well work.  And by the time you get to the end speed round for
the pavise target you've shot 18 arrows and have score 236.  That's a hoot.
That's fun.  That's a rush.