ARCH - Archery Question

Debbie Dewart darcy at seacove.net
Wed Jun 7 06:09:15 PDT 2000

>*** Gilli Said ***
>
>> You know, arm chair archery is a great thing.  Many of your ideas sound
>> interesting.  So why don't YOU get up and go do them????
>>
>> That, in large part is the problem, people will bitch about what is wrong
>> or
>> come up with ideas they expect others to do on how to fix things.  If
>> that's
>> what YOU want  to see done; then get out there and do it.
>>
>> Then after you've shot a few hundred rounds and ran dozens and dozens of
>> ranges  will take stock and see how well you've done.  And perhaps you
>> will
>> have done well, or perhaps you'll find someone making susguestions on how
>> you can improve things.
>>
>> Gilli
>>
>*** In reply I say ***
>
>Why don't I run an archery competition?  Simple enough answer ... It's just
>not my passion.  I am conversing on a list established to come up with
ideas
>about Archery, I thought.  I have those things which I am passionate about
>in the SCA, that you have to drag me kicking and screaming away from, but
>archery is not one of them.  I still enjoy archery, Lord Fearghus garnered
>my interest in it, I had a blast at War this year.
>
>Everyone in the SCA has a primary focus of some sort.  My primary interest
>happens to be Heraldry, specifically Court Heraldry.  Any time I do a court
>I would welcome commentary on how I did, how I could make it better.  Does
>that mean I expect that such critics/suggesters must themselves be a Court
>Herald?  No.

Darcy says:

The other day we had a lady come in to work who became rather loud and
abusive because we would not make an exception for her on library policy.
Pretty soon she knew more about how to run a library, with out ever having
worked one day in one,  than those of us who did.  She also couldn't
understand why we didn't  jump at the chance of letting  her, with her
awesome computer knowledge, volunteer to retrocatalog our collect for the
new automation system just because she didn't have a Masters in Library
Science and didn't have an inkling about what cataloging is about.

What it boils down to is that none of us would have presumed to go into her
place of business and  tell  her how to do her job without knowing what is
involved in her work.
If you want to have more fun at archery be prepared to help with the
archery.  If you want a herald at the archery range then be that herald.
But don't  be surprised if the archers  who are already working the archery
ranges are tired and grumpy and  overworked already and not all that
thrillled about trying to do more things on the range because there are lots
of people who come done to shoot and lots of  people who have suggestions
about  how to improve the ranges but very few of them who volunteer to do
the work.

Many hands make light work.

The more the merrier.

ad infinitum.