ARCH - Getting Started for under a $100, maybe less

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Mon Jun 12 16:35:01 PDT 2000

Greetings and Hi there,

Sorry I didn't get to this one sooner, *really* should have.

The company I get most of my stuff from is F/S Discount Archery, 2852 Walnut
unit A, Tustin CA 92780, 1-800-824-8261, www.FSDicountArchery.Com .  There
are many others out there.  This is the one I use.  :)

Now, depending on what you want to do well depend on how much it costs.

Let's say we're going to get you out there as cheaplly as we can (assuming
you can't find usable stuff at a garage sale or form someone who just wants
to get rid of a few things in the closet)

A fiberglass 25-30lb bow will serve you well for both target and combat
(that's the poundage of my old red bow) .  Cloud shoots well  be some
trouble, but  other than that , ok.  Part # Y260, $28.50.  These are good
little bows.  I have one as a loaner and gave another as a prize.

Arrow shafts:  For target I recommend cedar if you're going to shoot the
IKAC or some variant.  They are $12.95 a dozen.  You'll have to specify size
and spine weight.

Nock prices vary depending on what you get and how many.  I use the Marco
which comes in a varity of colors and in sizes to match the shafts. 1 dozen
$1.65.

Field points come in differant sizes and weights but basically cost $3.50 a
dozen.

Fletchings will get you a bit.  They come in differant styles, lengths and
colors.   Continuing with the assumption that you're wanting to shoot for
competition and that you only want 3 feathers per shaft and a nock feather
of a differant color you need two packs of feathers at $9.25 each or $18.50.
THese are somewhat cheeper if you by 3 packs at a time.  Depending on the
color you want I may be able to help out some on the nock feather.

OK, so for the basic parts we have: $28.50,  12.95, 1.65, 3.50, 18.50 =
$65.10 plus shipping $8.45 = $73. 55.  Now after you get the bow, get a
better string $4.00,  What I call a nock ring $.50 and a tube of bow string
wax $2.00 at your local archery store. So the price is now up to $80.05.
This is a bow and a bran new set of target arrows.

If you can bring the stuff with you to either one of my shoot or arragne for
a event I'll be at, I'll bring the stuff to help *YOU* make YOUR first set
of arrows.  :)

Ofcourse this is only a *start*.  I did not include finger tabs, arm guards
or quivers.  Not every body uses them or needs them.  Also the tools to make
the arrows with, they can come later if you want them.

Now, ofcourse, other distributors might save you a little more than these
prices from F/S.  I don't know.

But the point here is, it can be done for a whole lot less than $300 to
start with.  How much you end up spending over a period of time is up to
you.

So, what do you think?