ARCH - general questions

Steelquist, John John.Steelquist at csoconline.com
Fri Jun 16 08:44:34 PDT 2000

Gilli,

>From what he's posted other places, Erik is a true monster (I can't wait to
get him breaking shield walls...).  I believe his true draw length of 32".
(No offense to monsters - on my side :) ).

Erik,

Yes, there is a limit to combat draws of 30 pounds at 28".  This doesn't
actually bother too many archers with longer draws since you can't shoot
from your normal release point anyway - there's a helm in the way.  In fact,
your over-long arms will allow you to draw the arrow to in front of your
eye, as opposed to short armed shooters having to rediscover how to shoot
from a spot several inches off their cheeks.  Your arrows should be
constructed to limit your draw to 28" or marked at that spot.

As far as golf tube arrows go, yes they are legal in Ansteorra.  (Golf tubes
are those plastic sleeves that go into a golf bag to keep your clubs from
banging against each other).  However, since they are exactly the same
missile used by balistas, you can't use them at Gulf Wars.  They also don't
stand up to fighters walking over them well - they crease.  And they have
poor flight characteristics in comparison to fletched fiberglass or wood.
All of these negatives have kept any Ansteorran archers from using the
larger poundage bows and golf tube arrows.  I'd recommend against them, too.

Ulsted