ARCH - Re: ANST - Archery Question

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Mon Jun 5 22:55:45 PDT 2000

What hoops?  What ranking?

Perhaps I'm the problem.  I'm not going to go up to each and every spectaor
that shows up and invite them to shoot.  But if one says, "Can I try?", I'll
put a bow in his hands and get him on line in the first avaliable spot; if
they can wait a little bit.  However, if they can't do it right then, many
won't hang around.  I carry numerous bows of assorted poundage and goodly
number of loaner arrows just  for that purpose.   Sorry, no finger tabs or
arm guards, I don't  use them.

I'm not surprized that specators are being ignored by  the marshals while
they are watching the line.  I don't think spurned was the word you really
wanted here, contemptuos rejection, treated as an inferior?  It has been my
experience that those folks that leave in a huff are those who were not
willing to wait their turn and expected everything to come to a hault just
becaused they showed up.

In many respects the archery field at an event is just like that of the
heavy and light list fields.  And just like them they have the days
activities to go through and not much time to do it.  I think we have more
"newbie time" avaliable than the heaveies and light do.  But just like them,
most of the how do you do this stuff should be  done at the home group.

Archery is expensive, even more so than light or heavy fighting.  That's
just the way it is.  One way to make it more open for new folks is to have
the loaner gear.  Most folks, to include groups, won't or can't go to that
expense.  It's hard to play if there aren't any toys.

Steppes was probably not the time for a new person to try.  That's  just
like Joe Never Held a  Stick Before Want to Be Fighter trying to fight in a
Crown.  Where their complaints  about the Steppes event or was it just the
place they decided to vent on you?

But until we can go from Stereo to the specific problem, we can't fix it.
It could be just a matter of perception on both parts.   There is some
education, which is an every on going thing, that needs to be done.  Again,
most of this should be done at the home group.  Last time I looked there
weren't that  many in what is called the Crown's Land; most are in the area
of some group.

. Encourage
>them to try, encourage them to ask questions, and make them feel welcome.
>This will get the Kingdom more archers and more people shooting which
>will help this Kingdom have the best archers.

Since this appears  not to be happening,  how do you susgest fixing it?

Gilli who doesn't have a clue what  else to do.