ARCH - Re: ANST - Archery Question

Clare crowgirl at texas.net
Tue Jun 6 09:47:51 PDT 2000

>  >
> > Gilli, the largest problem, from talking to many archers and non-archers,
> > is the attitude of the archers in this Kingdom.

    Hi!  I thought I'd throw my two cents in..... I m a recent intro to archery
and have done most of my stuff on combat archery in melees and such -- I have to
admit thatit's due to the fact that I am shy about shooting in front of people
who are better.  So some of the problem is my fault.

I have to say that in terms of friendliness though the combat archers are more
friendly to me than the people who shoot target.... When I went out to shoot on
the field there seems to be a willingness to exchange words.  Even as
erratically as I shoot, people offer tips and such.  Recently when I was out
watching target archery, the majority of people didn't speak to me except
tangentially....

Like I said, some of it is my fault and I'm beginning to get to know some of the
archers.  Listening to this list is another way I'm getting to know the archers.

One thing I have seen though and I'd like to pass on.  Some of you seem bitter
that there are no active "Archery" Peers.  I'm sorry... but there are plenty of
Nobles and Peers who would give you more support if they were encouraged to give
support.  Case in point.  Brewers in the Kingdom had a similar problem, until
they gained support of people who cared to try to give them a better deal.  I
think with that and with the fact that some of the more out spoken Brewer's
joining forces, helped them get a more positive outlook on the skill.  You can
do the same with archers.

I haven't a clue what IKAC is... And I think a lot of beging archers may not be
aware of what it is?  How is it different from archery competitions.  I learned
alot at Steppes Warlord asking Fergus questions.  He was kind enough to answer
them (grin).  But the point I'm trying to make is that sometimes you have to
explain yourself in terms that others can understand.  Not in the correct terms
but in simpler than usual English.  Maybe the people who might want to compete
are intimidated by the idea that scores have to be registered.  I couldn't begin
to tell you how to score in target archery.
I can do combat but target is a whole nother ball of wax.

I want to shoot this year at Pennsic... Both in target and what limited areas
they have in combat.  I have made arrangeents to more practise but that's
through household members.

My suggestion is assess what assets you have (people withing the skill that are
willing to help promote the skill) and make an attempt to reach beginners in
terms they understand.... Those might help...  I'm perfectly willing to help in
any way I can./  I really enjoy archery though it has come to me late in my SCA
career.

Maybe in the NOrth there is more of an open arm welcome to new people, but I
have found that where I have been shooting it's more closed.  The most welcoming
people have been Fergus and Tomanaga and other new people. (and my household
members)  In combat archery -- almost everyone I have spoken to is happy to
include me and tease/been friends or give instructions.

Thanks for listening and I hope people understand these are my observations...

Clare