ARCH - Archery Question

Rayburn, Timothy TRayburn at healthaxis.com
Tue Jun 6 13:24:09 PDT 2000

Not a coincidence at all ... but you are falling into a classic logical
blunder.  In Latin they would phrase it :
Post hoc, ergo proctor hoc.

In essence, you are assuming that because after our scores went down, there
were fewer archers that the decline in scores caused the decline in archers.
Just because something came before something else does not mean that it
caused it.

Let me give you some reasons I personally feel that there are fewer archers
:

1) Groups don't highlight archery - This may be a symptom of less archers in
the local groups, but very few local groups put an effort to highlight
archery.  Some do, though, as Elfsea is planning to at Defender.

2) Archers aren't Inviting - Not that they aren't welcoming, but I've never
been /invited/ to shoot target archery.  I don't have a bow, so I don't
bother going over to the range.

3) Lack of Pageantry - Completely personal bias, I admit, but I love seeing
pageantry and display of the middle ages which I just don't feel at the
archery range.

Those are my feelings, but they can all be summed up to the following :

No one has ever gone out of their way to make archery fun for me.

That single key is what I think people should focus on.  Make archery fun
for the archers, and I guarantee the kingdom scores will recover.  If you
look at other fighting activities you will see people who make it fun for
people to enjoy that activity.  Once they are having fun, they will compete,
they will maker prettier armor, etc.

Make it fun,

Timothy of Glastonbury