ARCH - Archery Question

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Tue Jun 6 14:10:30 PDT 2000

Timothy of Glastonbury writes:

>Let me give you some reasons I personally feel that there are fewer archers
>:
>
>1) Groups don't highlight archery - This may be a symptom of less archers
in
>the local groups, but very few local groups put an effort to highlight
>archery.  Some do, though, as Elfsea is planning to at Defender.

During many groups events they are doing competitions for all their
champions on one day.

>2) Archers aren't Inviting - Not that they aren't welcoming, but I've never
>been /invited/ to shoot target archery.  I don't have a bow, so I don't
>bother going over to the range.

I don't think the archers will ever just go through the populace to do that.
However,  since you don't bother to go to the range, you'll never know if
there was a bow and some arrows there you could've used.  What would it hurt
to walk over and see?

>3) Lack of Pageantry - Completely personal bias, I admit, but I love seeing
>pageantry and display of the middle ages which I just don't feel at the
>archery range.

There is a bit of a reason for this.   Long flowing sleves and bow strings
do not mix well together.  The same is also true for some hats and other of
the more elabote garb.  Plus walking back and forth retreiving  arrow can be
a bit of work particularly if you're wearing garb not designed for such
things (court garb isn't meant to do work  in).  Now if your referring to
banners  penants and the like, and the mellow tones of hearld doing his
thing, that's a differant story.  It could be done if the organizer of that
event wanted to do so.  But bear in mind that archery is a spectator sport
only to a point.  Unless you have really good eyes or a looking glass, those
hits on the farther targets are hard to see.

>Those are my feelings, but they can all be summed up to the following :
>
>No one has ever gone out of their way to make archery fun for me.

>From what you said earlier you haven't met them have way either.  You won't
even go to the archery range.  So just how far out of the way does one need
to go?  If you won't go to the range to show you might have an interest, why
should they go roust you at your camp or while you are doing some other
activity?

>That single key is what I think people should focus on.  Make archery fun
>for the archers, and I guarantee the kingdom scores will recover.

Nice thought, but I've never after any of the fun shoots I've ran heard any
of those folks say, "Great, now lets go shoot some scores".  Although at
Southern Regional, Pug did want to shoot an IKAC when I got back.  However,
I was too tired and the other marshals continued with another hole of Combat
Archery Golf.
 If you
>look at other fighting activities you will see people who make it fun for
>people to enjoy that activity.  Once they are having fun, they will
compete,
>they will maker prettier armor, etc.
>
>Make it fun,

Again, if you haven't done it, how do you know that it isn't fun just by
itself?