ARCH - Archery Question

Rayburn, Timothy TRayburn at healthaxis.com
Tue Jun 6 14:26:18 PDT 2000

<Begin Quote, Me & Gilli>
> >2) Archers aren't Inviting - Not that they aren't welcoming, but I've
> never
> >been /invited/ to shoot target archery.  I don't have a bow, so I don't
> >bother going over to the range.
>
> I don't think the archers will ever just go through the populace to do
> that.
> However,  since you don't bother to go to the range, you'll never know if
> there was a bow and some arrows there you could've used.  What would it
> hurt
> to walk over and see?
<End Quote>

Why not?  Why not have a loud and well spoken individual get up in court and
offer that anyone who wishes to shoot can come do so, no equipment
necessary, and perhaps even give a small token (of some sort) for first time
shooters.  This isn't just getting up in court and saying 'We will be
shooting archery today at the archery field, everyone's welcome'... Make it
sound interesting.  Then make it interesting.  Fun shoots that are quick and
ego-reinforcing.

<Quote Again>

> >3) Lack of Pageantry - Completely personal bias, I admit, but I love
> seeing
> >pageantry and display of the middle ages which I just don't feel at the
> >archery range.
>
> There is a bit of a reason for this.   Long flowing sleves and bow strings
> do not mix well together.  The same is also true for some hats and other
> of
> the more elabote garb.  Plus walking back and forth retreiving  arrow can
> be
> a bit of work particularly if you're wearing garb not designed for such
> things (court garb isn't meant to do work  in).  Now if your referring to
> banners  penants and the like, and the mellow tones of hearld doing his
> thing, that's a differant story.  It could be done if the organizer of
> that
> event wanted to do so.  But bear in mind that archery is a spectator sport
> only to a point.  Unless you have really good eyes or a looking glass,
> those
> hits on the farther targets are hard to see.
<End Quote>

I mean all of the above, actually.  Why not have shooters shoot
head-to-head, two at a time only.  Then have some individuals (young
energetic ones) as arrow retrievers.  Make it a show of the chivalry,
prowess and magic that drew us all to the SCA once so long ago.

<Quote Again>

> >That single key is what I think people should focus on.  Make archery fun
> >for the archers, and I guarantee the kingdom scores will recover.
>
> Nice thought, but I've never after any of the fun shoots I've ran heard
> any
> of those folks say, "Great, now lets go shoot some scores".  Although at
> Southern Regional, Pug did want to shoot an IKAC when I got back.
> However,
> I was too tired and the other marshals continued with another hole of
> Combat
> Archery Golf.
<End Quote>

Well, if Pug has, then someone has, yes?

Rebuilding archery is not an overnight thing.  Nothing worth doing is.  You
must keep at it, keep a positive attitude.  Remember that it won't make a
change the first, second, or third times you do it.  But it will eventually
make a difference.

And, didn't the Kingdom just get a ton of scores from the Royal Huntsman
competition?  I should think this proves that high-profile shoots work to
get people out to play.  Make it fun and high profile, have great prizes and
you'll have a thriving community.... eventually.

Have patience ... have patience ... don't be in such a hurry,

Timothy of Glastonbury