ARCH - Things That Work

Scott Powers spowers at telepath.com
Tue Jun 6 17:27:19 PDT 2000

We have all heard a lot of ideas on how NOT to encourage people to come to
archery.  How about some positive notes on things that have worked in
interesting people to participate in archery.

Wiesenfeuer has a very active archery community.  The people at archery
outnumber the heavy and rapier guys combined by a margin of 4 to 1.  So
here are some things that I have observed that work in our Barony.

1) New Archer competitions -  At our Baronial Tourney each year, we sponser
not only an Archery Champion, but also a New Archer Champion.  The only
requirement is that you have not shot in an Archery Tournament more than a
year ago.  This gets lots of new people interested.

2) Real Prizes - A title is nice, but people really like cool prizes that
they can keep and wear for years to come.  A few years ago, our group's
leather crafters put up some great prizes (tooled arm guard, belt pouch,
and quiver) for most improved IKAC, best IKAC score of the year, and best
New Archer IKAC of the year.  The competition was keen, intense, and fun.
(I won the best new archer - and I am still shooting today as a result).

3) Participation by the group's leaders - Archery practice was gradually
increasing for years.  But it got a real boost when our Landed Nobles, Barn
and Kat, started showing up each week.  Now, it is THE place to hang out.
Of course this requires that your leaders have in interest in promoting
archery as well as the other skills and arts.

4) Loaner Gear - There are always two or three loaner bows at our
practices, and arrows to go with them.  And they get used.  Combine a
loaner bow with 20 minutes of instruction from our archery marshal, Lord
Braden, and you have an enthusiastic archer.

5) High Profile Shoots - the Nobles Shoot at ATYC was a great idea.  It
added pageantry and a wider audience to a shoot.  The Royal Huntsman is
another great idea.  More please!

These are all things that I have seen that actually work.  So, have anyone
else got anything that works.

Baron Rumil Fletcher
azure, three arrows or.