ARCH - Archery Question

Rayburn, Timothy TRayburn at healthaxis.com
Wed Jun 7 05:17:42 PDT 2000

*** Gilli Said ***

> You know, arm chair archery is a great thing.  Many of your ideas sound
> interesting.  So why don't YOU get up and go do them????
>
> That, in large part is the problem, people will bitch about what is wrong
> or
> come up with ideas they expect others to do on how to fix things.  If
> that's
> what YOU want  to see done; then get out there and do it.
>
> Then after you've shot a few hundred rounds and ran dozens and dozens of
> ranges  will take stock and see how well you've done.  And perhaps you
> will
> have done well, or perhaps you'll find someone making susguestions on how
> you can improve things.
>
> Gilli

*** In reply I say ***

Why don't I run an archery competition?  Simple enough answer ... It's just
not my passion.  I am conversing on a list established to come up with ideas
about Archery, I thought.  I have those things which I am passionate about
in the SCA, that you have to drag me kicking and screaming away from, but
archery is not one of them.  I still enjoy archery, Lord Fearghus garnered
my interest in it, I had a blast at War this year.

Everyone in the SCA has a primary focus of some sort.  My primary interest
happens to be Heraldry, specifically Court Heraldry.  Any time I do a court
I would welcome commentary on how I did, how I could make it better.  Does
that mean I expect that such critics/suggesters must themselves be a Court
Herald?  No.

I appreciate frustration, by all that I have heard you have been at this for
years and years.  But the attitude displayed in the above paragraphs is one
of the things which might be pushing people away.  Every single activity in
the SCA has people who just participate, and then people who keep the
activity going.  This is why we recognize service the way we do.  I am not
one of the people who likely will every be someone who works long and hard
to keep archery going, I have nothing against it, it's just not my passion.
I am the sort which will participate though, but it is not encouraging when
my commentary solicits that boil down to 'if you're not running a range, I
don't care what you have to say.'

Timothy of Glastonbury