ARCH - Archery Question

Mauer, Eric eric.mauer at attws.com
Wed Jun 7 08:25:34 PDT 2000

Gilli writes:

> [...]
set
way to high.<<<<

You make it sound like that's a bad thing <grin>. You're right in saying
that there's
not much you can do to make me want to shoot for score. I'll probably shoot
an IKAC
sometime this year, and most likely won't shoot an IKCAC. The major thing
that you
(and that's archery marshalls in general, not you specifically Gilli) could
do to make it more likely that I'll shoot is to communicate with the rest of
the event better (have
a schedule at gate, or have the heralds announce archery events at the
fighting fields).

However, I'm not interested as much in making it convenient for me
specifically as
for new archers and archers with other interests in general.

be
there, then I think they should be somewhere else.  If I have to lead them
by the hand, we're not going  to get any new archers.  What a crock!  No one
expects the heavies or light to do this kind of thrash, or at least they
didn't when I fought heavy years ago.<<<<

Really? I disagree-I had half a dozen new people at my house the other day
working on armor. Our knight's marshal carries loaner gear. When it looks
like someone's interested in heavy fighting, we take the time to explain
what's going on, help them with resources, let them try it out, train them,
etc. etc. How else do we get new blood on the fighting field? We make them
welcome.

Perhaps the difference is that I *need* an opponent to fight. You don't need
anyone but yourself and a target to shoot.

I'm not proposing that new archers be "led by the hand". What I am proposing
is that the archery community make the effort to welcome them, rather them
ignoring them or meeting
them with hostility.

Tuhtahl

Eric Mauer
Customer Care and Government Team Lead
Austin Customer Operations
AT&T Wireless Services
Office: 512-436-7354   Fax: 512-436-7708
eric.mauer at attws.com

"Cast off limiting thoughts and return to true emptiness. Stand in the
midst of the Great Void. This is the secret of the Way of the
Warrior."-Morihei Ueshiba