ARCH - Bow poundage...

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Tue May 16 19:16:58 PDT 2000

How do, there Pug,

Standard combat bow poundage is "30"pounds at 28 inch draw, unless you are
shooting golf tube arrows, then I think it goes up.

The best way to determine the poundage of your bow is to use a bow scale.
Serveral of the marshals have one.  I depends on how much money you want to
spend on that combat bow.  You can get a nice 25 - 30 lb fiberglass recurve
for about $35 which includes shipping.  Or you can get a wood bow for a
whole lot more.

I'll let Plachoya do the UHMW thing here.

I have a 25 lb recurve (my combat bow) and a 40 lb recurve bow that I use
for target.  Both of mine are fiberglass.  The 25 will get out to the 40
yard target but you have to loft it a bit.  The big thing is what can you
pull at least 72 times with about the same consistancy?  60 and 70 lb bows
look cool and make an impressive thud when the arrow hits the target, but
most folks will poop out using them long before a IKAC or even a royal round
is done.