ARCH - Bow poundage...

Sean yukon at teamunix.net
Wed May 17 03:43:04 PDT 2000

I see that HL Gilli has responded to most of your questions but hopefully I
can put in my two cents worth here :)  I use both a 30 pound fiberglass
recurve and 25 pound longbow for combat archery.  The longbow works fine but
sometimes the recurve gives me that little extra distance in a castle battle
when shooting from a distance over the walls.
My canton of Loch Ruadh (Elfsea) put together a little over 100 fiberglass
shaft arrows this spring which I took to Gulf Wars this year and I made
about 50 more for myself.  We bought 5/16" diameter fiberglass rods already
cut to 31" lengths (I believe) and used UHMW plastic as our heads.  We
bought the UHMW in lengths of 8 feet and a diameter of an inch and a quarter
and then using a band saw, we cut them to 1 inch lengths.  After tapping the
center of this UHMW cylinder to a depth of a half an inch we secured them to
the end of the shaft using a strong glue (I forget what it was called).  We
then cut out inch and a quarter diameter disks from half inch thick blue
closed cell foam and secured two of these disks two the end of the UHMW head
and shaft using strapping tape and duct tape which gave us an inch of foam
(half an inch of progressive resistance) on the tip.  Of course after
attaching nocks and vanes, we strapping taped the entire fiberglass shaft
from the vanes to the head which I was told is required of all combat arrow
shafts now in Ansteorra no matter what they are made of.  After figuring out
how to keep the vanes from coming off ( I used a combination of Bohning
fletching tape and Fletch-Tite) I found these were very durable arrows.  I
believe each arrow's cost worked out to be just under a dollar apiece.
I hope this gives you some insight as to what is involved in using UHMW.  If
you have any other questions about the construction of these arrows, please
let me know.  I was not the one who bought the materials but I can get that
information for you.

In Service,
Laird Sean of Argyll
Archery Marshal of Loch Ruadh
former Combat Archer of the Arthurian Company
Kingdom of Ansteorra