ARCH - Scores

Eadric Anstapa smills at barley.scabrewer.com
Tue Sep 19 15:12:59 PDT 2000

Bob Dewart <gilli at seacove.net> said:
> OK, I'll bite.  What is a York, Albion and Portsmouth Round?  I don't
> believe I've heard of them.

They are mundane archery round types that have been around far longer than
the SCA.  Before all of the Metric rounds and FITA rounds came about the
British had all sorts of interesting names for archery rounds.  Remember the
Royal Toxophilites were founded in 1781 and are still holding archery
competitions today.  Here are the British Grand National Archery Society
(GNAS) definitions for the traditional (non-metric) outdoor rounds.

Outdoor - GNAS rounds (5 zone scoring)
only on 122cm face

                       100yd 80yd 60yd 50yd 40yd 30yd 20yd
York                  | 72   48   24
Hereford              |      72   48   24
Bristol 1             |      72   48   24
Bristol 2             |           72   48   24
Bristol 3             |                72   48   24
Bristol 4             |                     72   48   24
St. George            | 36   36   36
Albion                |      36   36   36
Windsor               |           36   36   36
Short Windsor         |                36   36   36
Junior Windsor        |                     36   36   36
New Western           | 48   48
Long Western          |      48   48
Western               |           48   48
Short Western         |                48   48
Junior Western        |                     48   48
Short Junior Western  |                          48   48
American              |           30   30   30
St. Nicholas          |                     48   36
New National          | 48   24
Long National         |      48   24
National              |           48   24
Short National        |                48   24
Junior National       |                     48   24
Short Junior National |                          48   24

The Kingdom of An Tir shoots and keeps track of York Rounds anually just the
way they do Royal Rounds.  They even have a york Round scoresheet you can
download from the An Tir archery siye at http://www.bowslaire.org

Anybody know who exactly in the SCA came up with the Royal Round?

> My memory must be on vaction.  I remember a discussion on the scoring thing.
> I don't remember what was decided, or if anything was decided.  Help!
> Reboot my memory.  :)

Scoring what? IKCAC style archery?  I don't think we discussed it.

> While I am the IKCAC deputy, and I have placed SIX combat range around the
> Kingdom, the only combat scores this have year have come from shoots at
> Middleford.  That was 6 scores, 3 of which were mine.  Hummmmmmmmm

Seems kinda pointless to have a raking system for 4 IKCAC styles archers.  I
move we table that portion and simply work on the Royal Round Rankings.  Lets
get the marshalls accustomed to recording and submitting the scores and lets
get the archers recognized for their target archery achievements.  Then if
needed we can do the IKCAC style archery.

I don't know of any other kingdoms that do a ranking system for combat
archery but that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't something that we
might want at some point.  I think part of the thinking is that combat
archers will particpates in the wars and other melee events and they will be
recognized for battlefield prowess and contributions.

In Service,

Eadric