ARCH - Archery Marshal's Handbook

Scott Powers spowers at telepath.com
Wed Sep 27 19:34:41 PDT 2000

First, I should say that I forgot to sign my letter last night.  Let me
state for the record that the letter that started with "It seems to me that
the same thing happens each time someone sees this" was written by me,
Baron Rumil Fletcher.  It was late, and I simply forgot to sign my letter,
for which I apologies.

At 6:11 PM -0500 9/27/00, Bob Dewart wrote:
>Greetings and Hi There,
>
>Being a volunteer should be a mark of pride not a catch all excuse.

I did not offer that as an excuse for mistakes.  I offered it as a reason
to be courteous and appreciative to those who are trying to do something
helpful.  I, too, have little patience for mistakes when those mistakes are
caused by an unwillingness to do the job right.  But when the mistakes are
addressed and corrected, it is time to move on.  Moreover, I believe the
author of the said document made a real and serious effort to do a good
job.  I can't be upset with someone who is trying to do good work,
particularly when so many obstacles were placed in his path.

>And the guy yelling about this stuff is getting paid just as much as the
>rest of you are.

And I, for one, appreciate all the hard work you have done over the years
to promote archery.  You will note that I have never criticized you for all
that hard work, and never will.  I would not presume to offer criticism to
someone who is willing to do work that I am unable or unwilling to do.  My
only hope is that you would have the same level of patience with others who
are willing to do work that you are unable or unwilling to do.

My point is that gritching at volunteers who are trying to help is a
sure-fired way to make them angry enough to take their help somewhere else
where it is more appreciated.  I don't want that.  Do you?

Rumil