ARCH - IKAC Period Division Rules was -- IntraAnsteorra Archery Competition standings

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Thu Sep 28 19:01:29 PDT 2000

 Cool.

From: Eadric Anstapa <eadric at barley.scabrewer.com>
To: ansteorra-archery at ansteorra.org <ansteorra-archery at ansteorra.org>
Cc: ikac at dellarco.com <ikac at dellarco.com>
Date: Thursday, September 28, 2000 6:04 PM
Subject: ARCH - IKAC Period Division Rules was -- IntraAnsteorra Archery
Competition standings

>OK,  so now I am clear on where you get you information but not clear on
the rules.  If you are correct in your interpretation then I submit that the
IKAC rules need to be radically revised so that they are clear.

>Also, I kinda wonder what the point is.  Self nocked arrows are EASY
compared to a period bow.   I would argue that if you can go and buy one of
the $30 Titan red fiberglass bows and shoot it in period division then the
division should be abolished because you aren't shooting a bow that is even
remotely period.

>Gilli, are you sure you aren't miss-reading the statements in the April and
May reports?  The quotes are:

>"At this time the period division rules allow fiberglass in the period
bows, however I'm thinking of removing fiberglass from the period division
next season. I'd like comments, please. "

>and
>
>"The fiberglass issue was not intended to be "mean." When the Period IKAC
division was first introduced the only requirement was no plastic nocks.
Bonuses were given to those who used and made period equipment to encourage
their use. As the division matured and acquired a strong base of archers,
the bonuses were dropped and the requirements for bow construction were
enforced. As more documentation, tools, bowyers, fletchers and teachers are
available to us, the requirements for the Period IKAC division will continue
to mature. There will always be growing pains, but I will try to keep them
to a minimum.

>With all that said, fiberglass will not be eliminated from the Period IKAC
division next season nor in the foreseeable future. "

>I don't see is saying anywhere that SOLID FIBERGLASS bows may be used.
What I read is the simple re-affirmation of the statement in the rules that
says:

>"Fiberglass may be used as a substitute for horn and or sinew in the
construction of period style recurve bows such as Arab, Turkish, Mongol,
etc., but no modern features such as full or partial center cut handles are
allowed. The bow must have the appearance of a period laminate bow."

>I don't read anywhere that it says that solid fiberglass bows can be used,
and the fiberglass bows that I have seen you and Robert shoot certainly do
NOT have the appearance of period laminate bows.

>I have always understood that fiberglass may be used as part of the
materials in a hand crafted bow as a substitutes for horn laminations.

>Finally the statement in the rules:
>
>"Bows made from kits where the archer does the final tillering and
finishing count as having made the entire bow. Laminate bows where the
archer does the final assembling and tillering count."

>Would leave one to believe that the desire is not only that you use a
period style bow but that you use a period style bow that you fashioned
yourself.  Why exactly is this statement on bow kits in the rules?  I would
never question somebody shooting an obviously period style bow to see if
they had done any of the work themselves.