ARCH - IntraAnsteorra Archery Competition standings

Archie Darr II sbstn at ev1.net
Thu Sep 28 21:58:05 PDT 2000

My Fellow Archers;

    Sebastian here.  I feel that I too must put my 2 cents (or less,
depending on who you ask) worth in on this matter.
    I must agree with Robert of Yorkshire.  We need to be somewhat practical
about the "Period" aspect.  It is not just a matter of fledging archers that
could be discouraged.  Some archers may never be able to afford a period
bow.  Or be able to justify the expense, just so they can poke holes in
paper.  Others don't have the tools, space, or ability to craft a period
bow.
    As for the fiberglass issue, we still need to be practical.  There is a
cost factor as well as the care that must be given to an all wood bow.
Speaking as a legal assistant, the sentence "Period style recurves and
longbows of any material are allowed" says it all.  The question "where in
here does it allow the commercially produced fiberglass bows?"  The more
important question is where does it say you can't?  The idea is to use
"period" looking equipment.  I think a fiberglass longbow looks more period
than a lot of the laminated recurves most of us shoot in the open division.
We often use modern materials to craft our strings,  modern tools to build
our bows and modern targets to shoot at.  So where do we draw the line?
    Let's all agree to disagree and enjoy the fine sport of archery.  I hope
to see all of you at Battle of the Pines this weekend.

In Service
Don Sebastian Frobishire
Royal Huntsman of Ansteorra