ARCH - Royal Huntsman

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Wed Apr 11 12:22:05 PDT 2001

OK, I see three problems we're having right now with
the Royal Huntsman title:

RH is chosen too late in reign.  As it stands, the RH
for the current reign will be chosen only two months
prior to the end of the reign.  The rapier folks would
never allow that to happen to the Queen's Champion.
Their method to prevent this happening is to simply
take charge of scheduling the event so that it always
happens within a month or so after a Coronation.  This
is not something the Crown does; the rapier community
takes care of it.  The archers must take similar
responsibility for RH.  The sooner, the better, I think.

RH doesn't get enough mainstream attention.  Unlike
Queen's, the RH competition probably won't support its
own event, at least not yet.  But piggybacking it onto
another event means it gets eclipsed by longer-
established traditions.  We won't be able to do it at
most Coronations.  But if we can do the competition
shortly _prior_ to Coronation, we can have the winner
invested as part of the Coronation ceremony, like the
King's Champion.  If we can do it regularly, it can
become Tradition.

RH competition keeps happening in Central.  The two of
the first three RH competitions were (or will be) held
in the Central Region.  The next one should be outside
the Central Region.

It seems to me that the _ideal_ solution, addressing
all these problems, is to hold the RH competition at
Sundered Shield II, the week prior to Coronation.

Unfortunately, most of the hard-core archers will be at
AoB that weekend.

No realistic solution addresses all these problems for
the coming reign.

I suggest holding RH at AoB in Elfsea, and then
promising ourselves to find good RH sites in other
regions for at least the next three.  Ideally, this
should be in December or January, in my opinion; that
is, not too soon to start planning now.  (Why _not_
have the next three RH's planned before the next _one_
is shot?)

I can tell you that Their Highnesses like this idea,
but they don't want to fly in the face of what the
archers want.

Eadric, can we make this compromise?  Can you get a
December or January bid in your area?  (Coastal is more
likely to have better weather than the rest of us that
time of year, too.)

- Galen

Quoting Eadric Anstapa <eadric at scabrewer.com>:

> I'll agree than under normal circumstances AOB might
not be a bad place to
> hold a Royal Hunstman Tourney.
>
> However at this point that would mean that three of
the first four Royal
> Huntsman Tourneys would have neen held in the Central
Region with two of
> them
> in Elfsea.  Lets move it around a bit.  How about
looking for some place in

> the Northern, Western, or Coastal Regions?  There ARE
bids being submitted
> from Coastal Region groups.
>
> Also, AoB wil lfollow kinda close to Spring Faire.
It would be nice to
> wait
> until later in the fall.  There are lots of events in
September, October
> that
> can host the shoot.  Please get out there an
encourage your groups to