ARCH - Re: ANST-Announce - History repeat itself

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Fri Apr 13 09:33:48 PDT 2001

I absolutely agree.  If they "have to be", then we must do so.  However; there are other things that can be done to increase the safety of the game we play that will be _far_ more effective than any useable change we could make to Ansteorran crossbows.

Checking one's equipment for serviceability and compliance with regulations is a very good thing and should be done often.  However, I'm not aware of any Ansteorran bows or crossbows, and I personnally checked many of them at the war, that were not in compliance with current regs.

There are many ways to peel an onion.  Most folks want to do it in such a way so they do get the oinon juice in there eyes.  That limits those many way down to those that keeps their eyes safe.  There's only four I know of. 1) Have some one else do, 2) Peel it under water, 3) Peel it with a shop vac right there to get the onion juice, and 4) Wear protective eye wear.

Much the same is true we our current situation.  But the real question doesn't lie in what can be done to make it safer.  The real question is how safe is safer?  As long as there is a chance the back end of the arrow can get inside the helm there will be, however remote, a chance it will make it to the eye.  What chance out of a million, a billion, a trillion is exceptable to you and the SEM?  Because as long as there is a chance, it can happen.  There are only 3 thing I know of that will reduce the chance to ZERO: 1) Don't have combat archery, 2) Make the back end bigger, in a noncollaspeable manner, than the openings of the helm, 3) Personnel eye protection that will not allow contact with the eye by a foreign object.

So what is level of safety we are looking for?  Once we know that, then, possibly an answer to that question can be found.