ARCH - Bounce Back

Mills, Scott Scott.Mills at compaq.com
Tue Apr 17 12:13:24 PDT 2001

OK some personal observations and opinions.

What you describing seems like a dead-blow device.  That device seems like
ot would have a jackhammer effect.  It probably wouldn't bounce back as far
but it would transfer more energy to the target and hit excessively hard.
The energy has to go somewhere and either it goes into the target and
therefore there is little bounceback or it stays in the arrow and there is
bounceback.  It think almost universally the head designs that have work to
reduce bounceback have increased the ouchiness of the projectiles.  Also
please keep in mind that the amount of bounce -back, -forward, side, or
whatever is in a very large way influenced by the target with variables like
material (leather, metal, wood, flesh) and the angle of impact.  These
variables change with every shot.

What many people and kingdoms call an ABD is a complete misnomer.  They are
really nock-end Safety or Anti-Penetration-Devices.  Big difference in
something that prevents bounceback  and something that prevents the nock end
from penetrating a helm faceplate or reduce the damage a nock end can
potentially do.

Basically nobody is calling for a true ABD and I think that is good.  What
people are calling for is a safer nock-end on arrows and bolts.

Regards,

Eadric