ARCH - Enough is enough

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu Apr 19 17:38:27 PDT 2001

Nuala,

A couple of notes in response to your message.

1.  You are correct about the crossbow.  With the currently approved designs
virtually every crossbow in this kingdom will be in trouble.  That's why
every crossbow archer out there needs to be thinking of an alternative
nock-end safety device that will work in current crossbows and the work with
the marshallate to get it approved.

2.  I agree that the SEMs decision was made too hastily and I know our
Kingdom Archery Marshal and likely our Earl Marshal agree.  We were NOT
given the time to come up with alternatives that the SEM had indicated that
we would have.  We thought we would have till July to come up with
alternatives and that the SEM would make a decision in August not have
something in effect in by August.

As far as broadcast is concerned, it has been discussed between the various
kingdom Earl Marshals and their direct deputies.  Lord Fearghus and Sir
Wilhelm spoke with the archery marshallate at  Red Tape and directed us to
start taking action and to spread the word and rally the troops to start
looking for alternatives.  Unfortunately that has been barely a month and it
is doubtful that all of the marshals have had the time to speak with their
local archers.

3.  Yep, a Lexan face shield on every fighter would do it and so would
safety glasses/goggles.  It aint gunna happen.

4.  It isn't the death of combat archery.  Other kingdoms have required some
sort of bulbous nock for a while and God forbid there are those Goof Tube
kingdoms out there.  Combat Archery still lives.  There are more creative
and talented people in the SCA than nearly any other organization you will
find.  I am convinced that if we pull together we can work through this and
come up even better alternatives in time.  If anything it has the potential
of bringing CA to kingdoms where it is currently not allowed and perhaps the
Goof Tube kingdoms will now allow fiberglass shafted arrows with an APD.

In the mean time, as Gilli has suggested write a letter to the BOD, SEM, and
SAM and let them know what you think. Try to stay constructive.  I wrote
one, I got a reply.

In Service,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com