ARCH - Enough is enough

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Fri Apr 20 09:36:10 PDT 2001

Ed McHenry <rampanthare at yahoo.com> said:
> I am afraid that I would have to agree with Nuala.  At
> Gulf War we lost 80% of the arrows we took.  This is
> already a expensive hobby.  The new regulations just
> add to the cost.  With the additional restrictions we
> will not be able to "fill the air with a glorious rain
> of death" that was so impressive at Gulf.
>
> Roana

Lost?  Does mean:  I know they are here but can find them.  or that they were
damaged and destroyed?

If they are damaged and desstroyed then I'll assume you were using wooden
shafted ansteorran war quarrels.

I have heard statements from a number of people to the effect that even
though fiberglass shafted arrows with a $2 baldar blunt on them are more
expensive to start that over the course of 4 wars the cost will even out
because you don't break any.  That evening out cost is purely monetary and
doesn't account for time savings.  Duke Baldar straight out asked me how we
could afford to bring so many wooden shafted missles to War year after year.

Now consider some of the upcoming changes...

If you want a commercial head Duke Baldar's new design of blunt makes it
easier to inspect, will last longer, hit less hard because they are softer
(10 points more soft based on durometer readings), withh be accepted
basically society wide, and because the mould is more simple he expects to be
able to reduce the cost on them by 25 cents each.

If his current plans for a new nock end APD device pan out then it will have
integrated fletches and nocks.  While they will have a cost associated with
them Duke Baldar plans to sell them at cost and since you don't have to buy
vanes and nocks the cost will be offset by maybe 40 cents an arrow you would
have already been spending.

UHMW heads are much lighter and cheaper than Baldar Blunts but are not as
easy to inspect and you still get tape/foam wear.  Basically it costs a few
pennies more to construct a UHMW head than it does a standard Ansteorran War
Quarrel head.

Fiberglass arrow shafts cost about 65 cents a shaft (delivered) about the
cheapest Cedar or Chundoo shafts you can find (you would not want to use them
for target archery) would be about 75 cents a shaft (delivered) so ya save
about 10 cents a shaft by going to fiberglass.

Sure you can get off cheaper if you are out buying typical ramin dowels from
the local Home Depot but you aren't supposed to be doing that.  I will qoute
from the Ansteorran Complete Participants Handbook "Shaft material shall be
of a good quality wood such as fir, cedar or chundo. Typical dowel material
may not be used."

Now, a UHMW head, fiberglass shaft, and UHMW APD might increase your cost $30
on a hundred arrows but when you consider the longevity of those shafts you
will recoup the costs quickly.

Regards,

--
Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com