[Ansteorra-archery] Archers behind the throne

Rumil Fletcher rumil at prodigy.net
Tue Dec 18 01:56:18 PST 2001

>I've known the last few crowns on a casual level and would have to
>say that while they don't go out of there way to accomadate archers,
>they don't go out of there way to accomadate any one group.  They
>work with traditions and occasionally make a few new traditions.
>They have more than enough to worry about without us expecting them
>to stop and say "Wait, where are the archers?"

Absolutely right!  The Landed Nobles and the Crown have an enormous
number of items drawing their attention at every event.

>We always talk about being second class or worse but I've never seen
>it that way.  We don't have crowns against us, it's tradition that's
>against us.  Other groups are behind the throne because it's
>tradition for them to be there.  We need to start a new tradition.
>There is little doubt in my mind that this crown and the next, and
>all for the foresee-able future(based on current hotsticks) will
>support reasonable requests from the archery community.

Again, right.  I agree completely.

>Let me paint a picture...  Daddy's on the throne.  What does Junior
>do all day?  He fights, sure, but his place as eventual king is
>secure. (In this instance by right of arms instead of birth)  What
>does the prince do with his "leisure" he does what all good nobles
>did, he hunts for sport.  Who is his guide, teacher, protector?  The
>Royal Hunstman.

I like that.  We are, after all, here to study and learn the Medieval
period.  There were few things that nobles did more often than hunt.
And while I do not ever hunt in real life or have any desire to, I
think that, in period, a noble should learn to hunt with bow and/or
hawk.  As the care and feeding of noble birds is beyond my resources,
I will stick with archery.  We should emphasize this as an area of
Medieval studies of importance.  Its not just a sport for those who
like archery.  It is what the gentry did, often.

>Okay, I'm starting to babble.  I've left you with an idea to chew
>on.  Perhaps some of the more politically adept could run it up the
>flagpole and shoot it full of holes.  (Oops, mixed metaphor)

I, too, am starting to babble; not surprising since it is past 3:30
am.  OK, goodnight, all.

Rumil Fletcher