[Ansteorra-archery] Kingdom legal arrow rests

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Sat Dec 22 17:59:16 PST 2001

The simple rests that are allowed are basically the little adhesive plastic
rests that you can buy at most Academy or Wal-Marts(in season).  There are
many brands but they are all pretty similar to a Bear Weatherest that you
can see via the online Three Rivers Catalog at
http://www.bowsite2.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=15&CATID=65&ObjectGroup_ID=258
I like the feather rests that they also sell there but basically anything on
the above page is certainly allowed.

For lots of examples of rests that you can not use look at the Lancaster
Archery Supply Catalog.  Their online section with rests is a PDF file at
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/01catpages/01page61-66.pdf

Basically NOTHING on pages 61-64 can be used or anything similar. (I hope
that is obvious)

On page 65 in the left hand column there are what would probably be called
some simple wire rests (the T-300 series as they are not adjustable)from
Cavalier.  Most everything else on page 65 beyond the T-300 series would NOT
be allowed.

On page 66 there are a number of simple plastic rests like the Hoyt Super
Rest and Hoyt Hunter Rest and the Saber 2-hole rest that would be allowed.
There are really basically just like the Bear Weatherest except that they
have holes in them to accommodate plungers.  Plungers are NOT allowed but
you don't need them to use those rests.  Of course the simple Bear Hair matt
on your self is allowed but most (probably all) of the rest of the rests on
that page would not be allowed because they are adjustable or flip
completely out of the way.

The plastic rests like the Bear Weatherest and the Hoyt Super or Hunter
Rests, and the Sabre 2 hole rests are not mechanical and do not flip out of
the way.  These are very popular rests and are about as high-tech or
complicated as you can get and still be allowed for SCA archery.  The Simple
wire rests are really little different.  All of these rests are also not
adjustable.  You stick them on and once they are affixed that is where they
are.  They certainly are flexible but they do not flip completely out of the
way and they are not adjustable.

A few simple rules of thumb.

1.  If the rest is adjustable in anyway they are NOT allowed.  This would
allow someone to use the same nocking point but adjust their rest for the
different ranges.

2.  If the rest flips completely out of the way then it is not allowed.
This means that if it has to be in anyway reset after a shot you cant use
it.  This includes those that need to be manually reset and those that
magnetically reset.  This resetting is a key particularly when looking at
some simple wire rests that look really close to a flipper rest.  If you
have to touch the rest after a shot to reset it then it is probably not a
simple wire rest but is instead a flipper rest.

3. Stay way from any rests that are described with words like  flip,
flipper, adjust, tune, magnetic, mechanical or any variants of the above
words.

OK, I hope that answer your second question which was "What exactly would be
a good example of simple one-piece plastic or non-adjustable wire rests?"

As far as your first question of  " What is the best arrow rest I can get
that is Ansteorra legal?", that is completely a matter of preference.  I
don't think there is a right answer.

I have recently grown fond of a feather rest but there is nothing wrong with
the simple plastic rests mentioned above.

I don't like the Wire rests because they can bend, and because I don't ever
want to get in an argument over if it is or is not a "flipper" rest. (The
marshal in charge is always right).

There is certainly nothing wrong with shooting off the self covered with
hair or sealskin.

What about your hand?  That's a pretty good rest and it is certainly
allowed.

Regards,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com