[Ansteorra-archery] Fw: [SCA-MissileCombat] changes on the society level

ironwyrm at juno.com ironwyrm at juno.com
Fri Dec 28 09:03:05 PST 2001

That didn't start out to be the plan but it's beginning to look like it
may be possible for next year and to a small degree this year, the refit
has really cost us!

House Arkham is merchant household dedicated to promoting artisan &
tradesman skills, inter-Kingdom commerce, & service.
We also promote archery and maintain a standing unit of household combat
archers & siege engineers of which about ten are planning to attend Gulf
War this year.

So last June we (the household) decided to start production of and
maintain a household combat archery arsenal.  As they say "many hands
makes the work go much faster".  We hold combat archery workshops every
Saturday possible in order to prepare and/or repair our combat archer's
armor, combat arrows & bolts, quivers, etc. for use in the field.  It's
open to anyone who wishes to attend and we've helped to train a few new
combat archers during these workdays.

But you know how it is, sometimes Guyjin and I find ourselves working in
the shop on weeknights.  As the war draws near that becomes more the rule
rather than the exception.

We had hoped to finance the arsenal from merchanting at events but so far
that has only served to supplement it a bit.  Most of the supplies have
been donated or paid out of the pockets of our combat archers.  But the
goal is to have enough extras to supply budding combat archers with the
armor & arrows needed to get into the fight until they can afford to
supply themselves.  Yes I know the marshalite would prefer that persons
are not authorized until they have their own equipment, but if we can
assist them in that endeavor, so the better!

All who attend do a great job and we have lot's of fun!  Guys work in the
shop and the Gals work on garb, with a few notable exceptions and visits
back and forth.  We do pot luck or order out near the end of the day,
visit and review the days progress together during dinner.  Together they
really get a lot done!

Ironwyrm