[Ansteorra-archery] A new year's a comin'

Sylvrfalcn at aol.com Sylvrfalcn at aol.com
Sat Dec 15 08:44:40 PST 2001

Hmmmm,
  What one thing indeed, mine may sound silly but I don't mind folk
snickerin' at me so here goes; heralds. Heralds to announce archers
participating in shoots/tourneys at events. And when would these heralds be
doing their announcing?  Why at the opening ceremony we put together, and
insist upon the attendance of the crown representative and any other brass
hats we can round up. They of course will inspire the usual crowd of strap
hangers and camp followers to be there as well. Perhaps by giving our shoots
a bit more glamour and visibility we may attract the spectators and
recognition archery deserves.

Heck, why stop there.  When does the archery champion get his/her prize?
Hmph, usually as an after thought when everybody else including the Minister
of Children has had their moment.  I have a very vivid memory of Don
Sebastian Frobishire patiently waiting, for what seemed to be an eternity, at
Ravensfort Defender before it was seen fit to acknowledge that he had won the
tournament. And not just any tournament, the bloody ROYAL HUNTSMAN.

Why not have the "mucky muck" of the day come down to the range and present
the bloody prize/award RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF ALL THE ASSEMBLED ARCHERS.
Wow, that would jolly well improve my motivation and morale, while at the
same time giving the archery champion more prestige than the MOC, and the
first, second, and third place winners of the underwater basket weaving
contest.

Can all the mad ramblings of Robert come to pass?  You'll just have to come
to ICE AXE to find out.  The champion will be decided by the highest "Winter
Shoot" score, and there will be fanfare, oh yes indeed. You all, of course,
remember the winter shoot, it's the one we should be competing in/submitting
scores for even now.  It's a lot of fun, and very challenging even though all
the shooting's done at twenty yards.

Gilli has often asked your opinions in an effort to stimulate
conversation/participation.
I'm after something a bit more.  Words not matched by deeds might as well be
leaves falling from a tree for all the good they'll do.  It would warm the
crusty cockles of my heart to hear folk talk about WHAT THEY ARE DOING to
make a difference, instead of everybody throwing in their rapidly devaluing
"two cents" about what they should be doing.  Deeds, not words, that's what
I'm after.

Sermon over, forgive me if I've overstepped.  If caring is a crime, then I
proudly stand among the ranks of the guilty.

Cheers All,
Robert of Yorkshire