ARCH - Interesting

Eadric Anstapa smills at barley.scabrewer.com
Mon Feb 5 16:23:05 PST 2001

OK,  There is clearly a mistake here.

What Gilli is referring to can be found in:

* COMPLETE PARTICIPANT’S HANDBOOK
  KINGDOM OF ANSTEORRA
  A.S. XXXIV

** SECTION 6
   COMBAT ARCHERY CONVENTIONS AND EQUIPMENT STANDARDS
   INCLUDING OTHER MISCELLANEOUS PROJECTILES

*** GLOSSARY   PAGE 54
    FOR TERMS APPLICABLE TO COMBAT ARCHERY AND OTHER
    MISCELLANEOUS PROJECTILES

    Draw: The distance from a bows string, at rest, to
    the string when pulled into the firing position.

Clearly that is wrong and we need to have the Glossary of
the Ansteorran Complete Participants handbook revised.
Measuring a 28" "draw" this way would give you a 34 to 38
inch draw length as traditional measured on any normal
bow.

I agree that if we use this definition then we are
probably going to be limited to around a 15 pound bow.
Of course it will depends on how your bow "stacks" but
typically as you start over drawing a bow it starts
stacking very quickly so there is going to be a BIG
difference in what a bow would measure at a traditional
28" draw and what it would measure at this type of draw
which is really a 34-38" draw.

Fearghus,  I suggest you get with our new Earl Marshal
and we publish and ERRATA/ADDENDUM for the Complete
Participants Handbook ASAP.

*** For reference ***

The SCA Missle Combat Rules say:

BOWS

General Requirements:

1.   The draw weight of the bow is to be determined at
     28 inches draw length, as measured from the center
     of the bow riser.

AND...

Wood or Fiberglass Shafted Arrows and Bolts:

5.   Maximum allowable draw length (bottom of the nock
     slot to just behind the blunt) is 28 inches.

These are both the traditional draw and arrow length
requirements that I have been taught.  Keep in mind that
even if/when you have a bow that measures 30# at 28"
using this definition, it will be quite difficult to draw
the arrow a full 28".

Draw length is measured to the CENTER of the riser and if
the base of the blunt is going to stop at the FRONT of
the riser then your actually draw in combat will be Half
the width of the riser short of 28".  A safety factor in
an attempt to prevent overdrawing the bows.

I would recommend that a handbook errata note be
generated  and signed by the earl marshal and crown using
the same definition of draw as the Society rules.
i.e.

     The draw weight of the bow is to be determined at
     28 inches draw length, as measured from the center
     of the bow riser.

Until then.  Lets not panic.  We know how we have been
measuring draw length and we have been adhering to
society guidelines.  It is just an honest mistake/typo in
the handbook that until now nobody noticed.

In Service,

Eadric