ARCH - Interesting

Eadric Anstapa eadric at barley.scabrewer.com
Mon Feb 5 19:11:16 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry C. Billings" <psobaka at mail.myriad.net>
> IIRC SCA rules take president over Kingdom rules. IOW you measure from the
> riser back to get your 28 inches. If our arrows are 28 inches from the
> bottom of the knock to the base of the head and our marshals know how to
and
> check bows for draw weight as well as check arrows this is not a problem,
> but should be corrected as expidently as possible.

Doesn't really apply here.  The MINIMUM standards are set by the Society.
Individual Kingdoms are entitled to me more strict.  The way it is worded
now, although weird and wrong, is actually more restrictive and limiting on
the weight of bow than is the Society standards.

I really like the way the society standards are written.  It is extremely
clear how draw length/weight should be measured (28" from center of riser)
and how arrow length is to be measured (28" from just behind head/blunt to
bottom of slot in nock).

These are two separate measurements.  The length of arrow is limited so that
people can not over-draw and get more weight/force/thrust out of their bow
and draw length definition is so that there is a clear measurement for
checking the 30# or 40# bows.  Yep that's right folks the SCA standard for
Heavy/Golf-tube bows is 50#, the Ansteorran limit is 40#.

In reading the Ansteorran Complete Participants Handbook more carefully and
looking for similar mistakes (Since Gilli brought it up) I see that it is
worse than I could imagine.

Section 6, subsection II. Paragraph A., Subparagraph 2a says:

a. Have a maximum strength of thirty (30) foot pounds at 28" draw using
legal wooden or
fiberglass shafted quarrels.

NOTICE is says 30 FOOT pounds.  That is way different than simple pounds.
Since 28" is 2.33 feet that means that According to the Complete
Participants Handbook using this statement and the also included definition
of "draw" the maximum draw weight for a bow is Ansteorra as traditionally
measured by modern and AMO standards will be 12.86 pounds.

It seems clear that whoever wrote this was mixing Crossbow and Handbow
standards without success.  The draw length for a crossbow is measured from
the string at rest (not the bow/prod) to the nut (they call this the
power-stroke of the bow) and the maximum draw weight for crossbows is
expressed in Inch-pounds.

What is more strange is that I know that there are many marshals out there,
myself included, who have read these rules a number of times.  Why have we
not noticed these mistakes before?  I guess when you are an experienced
marshal and you read these it is easy to read what you know rather than what
is actually there.

Regards.

Eadric