ARCH - Royal Round announcements

Eadric Anstapa eadric at barley.scabrewer.com
Tue Feb 20 22:43:40 PST 2001

Gilli, If that's the way you run things I can not tell you no, but that's
not the way we do it here.

Our newsletters announce specific dates and times and on those dates we
record scores.  We have an authorized and warranted marshal committed to be
at the range on those days and times, the location is announced and it
becomes an official SCA event covered and governed by SCA policy.

The SCA by-laws clearly state:

"Society events must be sponsored by branches of the Society, registered
with the Seneschal of the sponsoring branch and publicized at least to the
membership of that branch, and conducted according to Society rules."

That means to me that a person should be able to pickup the phone, call the
local seneschal and ask "Is an Archery practice being held today?"  "Where
is the practice being held?" and get an answer.  If the seneschal of the
group didn't know it was happening then it wasn't an SCA event.  You should
also be able pickup the local newsletter and get that information.  See
http://www.sca.org/docs/corpora.hbk.html for that specific little bit from
corpora.

Our newsletter also says more generically that the marshals are available
and hold archery practices evenings and weekends and to contact the marshals
for more information.  On these impromptu evening and weekend practices
(which take place quite often since Iaen, Talmon and I only live about a
half-mile apart) we do not keep scores because date/time/location were not
announced in advance and there was no opportunity for others to show up.
Finally, since we don't bother to get in touch with the seneschal every time
we want to shoot we cant call those SCA events.

My personal bests and bet Iaens also have been shot on those evenings when
everything just felt right so we went out and did some archery.  We never
recorded to scores and often don't even keep track.  Seeing the arrow hit
the gold is enough.

Remember that the IKAC, IKCAC, and Winter Shoot are privately sponsored
shoots and the sponsors can do whatever they want.

To shoot an IKAC you don't have to have a warranted marshal present but you
do have to have announced it (although it seems Sir Jon was rather liberal
on his definition of exactly what constitutes being announced).

The Winter Shoot wants you to have a properly authorized marshal but they
don't seem to care about prior announcement.

What we are striving to do with the Royal Rounds and what other kingdoms
have done is to develop an Official SCA sponsored and recognized achievement
system and my understanding has always been that because of that the
recorded score must be shot at official SCA events.

In Service,

Eadric