ARCH - Royal Round announcements

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Wed Feb 21 03:35:48 PST 2001

Greetings and Hi There,

IMHO the proper answer for the Seneschal that's asked about achery practice
would be, " Here's the phone number of our Archery Marshal.  He/she can
answer all your questions on archery."

Here is what "The Rules" say:
    All competing archers are required to hold SCA Membership. Status may be
confirmed with the Registry. The competition may be shot at any official
Kingdom or local event (regular practice sessions which are periodically
announced in the appropriate newsletter count as official events--otherwise,
official events are all those announced in the appropriate Kingdom or local
newsletter). Major events, such as Estrella War, or major local events, that
are held before April 1, may be granted official scoring if requested well
in advance in writing.

It does not specify you must have the exact time.  If so, even events would
be in trouble if they could only shoot at a particular time.

The whole purpose of these competitions is to promote archery.  The more
restrictive you get the less promoting you are doing.  Say a particular
competition that some one comes up with says that you must wear a slicker
and quoate Shakspear while standing on their left foot while shooting.
That's great.  Those are the rules for that competition.  But they aren't
the rules for the IKAC or IKCAC unless that's just how someone wants to
shoot their score that way.

If folks want to limit, for whatever reason, when they can shoot; that's
fine.  They can do that.  _But_ the "rules" don't do it.  Other than having
to be *periodically* announced, the rules don't limit when you can shoot.

Now, that word *periodically* needs a quick look at.  Regular practices
don't have to be announced monthly. As with many SCA things the wording is
intentionally vague.  Every other month or even quarterly is fine.

And yes, the IKAC and IKCAC do fall under the require a marshall to be
there.

Now we can do all the rule lawyering we want.  And perhaps we should to come
up with what we want.  And perhaps, but I dought it, this new guy that will
be running the IKAC and IKCAC will be a bit differant.  But so far it's been
just want Sir Jon came up with.  Now ofcourse over the years little
modifications here and there have come into place.  And I'm probably not the
only one who susgested some of them.

I know the following is going to come back to haunt me, but when did that
ever stop me?  Here's pretty much the bottom line for me.  I've been running
IKCAC and IKAC competitions here in the Kingdom for about 12 years.  I have
spent many hours and lots of dollars on the phone with Sir Jon over the
years.  I've had many of the same questions and got them answered from the
source.  During that time the Kingdom has won 1st place in the IKCAC twice.
So what does that mean?  It means that with that and 80cents I can get a
soda at work.  It also means two other things.  1) I'm not stearing us
wrong, and 2) if you want to be restrictive in this particular matter, you
can; however the rules aren't doing it to you.

PLEASE don't get me wrong.  I am not saying it's my way or the highway, nope
not me.  There is more than one way to peel an onion.  If the way you're
doing it is working for you, GREAT.  Perhaps some day this less restrictive
and equally legal way of doing it will work for you too.  But in the mean
time, if it works, don't fix it.

We have a basic schedule: lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays and on Sundays
(time dependant on the temperature of the year).  But we also say that each
day is archery practice and to contact the marshal so that when the
opportunity is there and we feel right, we can shoot for score.  It works
for us.  It's legal.  Our only hang up is that sometimes a marshal can't be
there so we can't shoot for score.  But in our case we shoot any way.  Can't
stop them.  It's an archery range on a military installation being used by
authorized personnel.