ARCH - Combat bolt questions...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Sun Feb 25 19:53:09 PST 2001

Harry C. Billings (psobaka at mail.myriad.net) said something that sounded like:
> In Ansteorra the head must be 1 inch long with the hole for the shaft 1/2
> inch deep.

Okay, where did you find that rule? Or is it just an old rule of thumb?

I couldn't find it in the Society nor Kingdom rules for combat
archery. Now that might mean that it's in my BlackStar somewhere and
I missed it. Minimum diameter, penetration and foam padding are talked
about, but not length.

Btw, I'm getting my rules from the Participants Handbook and Society
handbook online at archery.ansteorra.org.

---- Begin of Ansteorra ----
Combat Points: Quarrels shall have combat points as follows:
a. Points shall have a minimum diameter of 1 1/4 inches
b. Points shall not be designed to allow an entry of more than 1/2 inch
   into any legal faceplate or visor.
c. Points shall have a minimum of 1 inch of closed cell foam or the
   equivalent on its striking surface.
d. Points shall have a stop placed between the padding and the shaft
   material that will not allow the shaft material to punch through the
   padding. This stop must be a minimum of 1 1/4 inches in diameter.
Note: "Thistle Missile" tips may be used, so long as they meet the
   above standards. They must be taped to the wooden shaft securely using
   reinforced fiber tape. These tips are NOT to be used in Rapier Combat
   scenarios.
e. Baldar Blunts and UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight Plastic) head designs
   are legal for both fiberglass and wooden shafted quarrels for both
   longbow/re-curve and crossbow.  Baldar Blunts are NOT to be used in
   Rapier Combat scenarios
----  End of Ansteorra  ----

---- Begin of Society ----
1.   Arrows must have a blunt head, such as a Markland or modified Markland,
     Thistle Missile, Baldar, UHMW, Morak or other SCA approved combat
     blunt. The padded face of the blunt may be flat, rounded or
     parabolic, but not pointed.

          Fiberglass shafted crossbow bolts may not use Thistle Missile
          blunts for heads.  Handmade blunts are required to have a
          minimum of half an inch of resilient padding (measured after
          taping) over the full striking surface of the face. The padding
          should have progressive give and should hold up under repeated
          impact. The blunt must have a finished diameter of at least
          1 1/4 inches and must not be capable of being forced through
          the one-inch opening of the bars of a combat-legal helm for
          more than « inch.

2.   Padding on the face of a blunt which has compacted under use to less
     than a half- inch in thickness must be replaced
----  End of Society  ----

> Drill it the same diamiter as the shaft and force the shaft into it.

Definately.

> Don't forget to round off the front edge of the head with a 1/4 inch
> round over bit in your router.

I definately remember that. Although I don't know if I'll have time
before Gulf War.

Ciao,