[Ansteorra-archery] Arrow approval

Dewart, Charles R. --G3 Contractor (Anteon Corp) Charles.Dewart at hood.army.mil
Wed Jul 11 07:58:54 PDT 2001

Yeap, you're correct there is information out there and folks should do
their homework.  However, you and I both know that's just not happening.  If
it were there wouldn't have been as many not pass inspection.  OK so I had 2
out of my 500+ you guys inspected not pass, one for a knock and one had a
cracked shaft.

It's a viable option if we want to make it so.  You got to be authorized to
used those long spears, don't you?  You got to be warrented to be a herald,
treasurer, schenesal, ahhhh what else, I know I'm leaving something out.  My
point here is someone said to be a, one of the above, you must do such and
such.  And that's just the way it is now.  Pretty simple, you want to make
arrows, get authorized to do so.  You don't want to get authorized, then
don't make arrows.  It's just one more thing we can do to insure the safety
of the sport.

Having said all that, how are you going to keep what happened last year from
happening again and again.  It probably won't happen by the same guy.  But
as it stands now, what's to keep someone else from doing it?  Nothing that I
can see, as of right now.  For those of you who don't know what I'm
referring to, someone went into combat with uninspected crossbow bolts that
turned out to incorrectly constructed, ie, the baldar head wasn't taped
down.  Talk about sudden sinkter closer, my goooodness.

And here's a good one for you that just scares the hell out of me because it
happens.  When you see what can only be a store bought pre-made arrow, how
do you know that the target point was removed???

We are an educational organization.  Doing these classes shouldn't be a big
thing.  They can take place just about anywhere at almost any event.

Maybe it's just me, but I think I can read the writing on the wall.  It's an
ugly message.  And that message says, "Golf War Combat Archers, you all mess
up just one more time and that's it!".

Personnaly, I'd rather upset folks by making them take precautions and do
things right beforehand, then to upset them after the first battle and
they're told no more combat archery for the rest of the war.  I don't want
to make things any harder than we have too.  But I think an ounce or two of
prevention is a whole lot better than the pound of cure we'll get at the
War.  I don't want to see that sort of business again.  And I think it all
can easily be prevented.