[Ansteorra-archery] Directions to Camp Burnett and site information

Wilim Penbras wilim.penbras at pandora.org
Thu Jun 28 09:22:02 PDT 2001

Good Morning,
     Most of the directions are on the Website but I thought I'd put out the directions I use.

I live near 183 in D/FW.  Heading east from the Mid-Cities I go to the 121 exit and stay on that for awhile.  When it breaks off in Grapevine I take the Main Street exit.  Go through 3 lights and turn left on 114 North.  There's alot of construction there so you'll eventually be forced over onto the service road.  Take the service road through several more lights and you'll come to White Chapel Blvd.  Hang a right on White Chapel and keep going.  You'll go through some stop signs but when it starts going downhill to the left the Sign for Burnett will be on your right back in the woods a bit.  Slow down so you don't miss it.

If you do pass it there's a driveway on the left where you can turn around and double back.  It's dirt/gravel road that's usually in fairly good shape.  The Road will kind of open up into a nice big field and curve to the right.  You'll pass the small building on the right where the Port-a-lets will be kept and you'll see Troll and Parking.

There's camping in the woods for average sized mundane tents.  It's fairly large back in there and we estimate enough space for about 30 or so tents in each wooded camping areas.  Please be kind and not take up much more than you need as we may have a lot of campers.  Each camping area shares a faucet with city water.

There's also a clearing on your left as you come in that's got trees but is more open for large mundane tents and pavillions.  This area also has running water from a faucet that's city water.  The main field is for Fighting and ranges and class tents.  There's a permanent pavillion up that has lights, a large fire pit and an electric outlet.

All of the camping areas share a faucet and firepit in the centers of each.  The total area for ranges is about 100yds square give or take and bordered by trees.  This will be roped off.  The Class areas/ranges/portalets/Court and everything else is probably within about 300 yards from the wooded camping areas and there's water withing about 50/75 feet from each camp.

There's no bath house and the flushies that are on site don't like paper of any kind.  They lead to a septic system as well that the rangers use so try the portalets first.

The site is Wet but the Ranger is a Grapevine police officer so it's best behavior folks.  Also this site is primarily used by Boy Scouts so NO non-period containers.  That'll be strictly enforced.  Also there are neighbors about 500-600 yards away so after dark we want to keep it fairly quiet.  That doesn't mean no drumming or don't have a good time.  Just keep in mind that we will have security stationed half way between the camps and the neighbors so if it gets loud to them don't be surprised if they ask you to tone it down before it's loud to the neighbors.

Any other questions?  The event is shaping up nicely and I hope to see you all there.

In Service,
     Wilim