ARCH - ummm another dorky question

Sluggy! slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Thu Mar 22 23:12:32 PST 2001

Brown Chass wrote:

> UMHW????

Ultra High Molecular Weight plastic. It is the generic description of a
class of dense, slippery plastics. They are not entirely unrelated to
teflon, nylon, etc, but are quite a bit denser. They are gerenally
impervious to just about all chemicals so it is extremely rare that any
kind of glue will stick to them at all.

I'm not familiar with the development history of the UHMW on fiberglass
arrows; specifically I'm not sure why UHMW in particular was chosen, but
I'd just about bet that someone already had a rod of it when they
started designing arrows!

Since the UHMW standard was in place once Loch Ruadh started making
arrows for Gulf War IX, I haven't done any price checking to see if
other classes of plastics (which might be easier to work with and with
which glue might actually work) are in the same price range. My gut
feeling is that other plastics will be more expensive or less available
or some such.

UHMW on fiberglass arrows are very durable. They withstand full weight
trampling without breaking. The vanes and nocks are about the most
delicate parts of them.

The major drawback (in my eyes) is that they are heavy, at least
compared to modified Marklands. Marklands are made with cedar shafts and
have wood and foam heads. Offhand, I'd say that UHMW arrows are probably
two to three times as heavy. This reduces their effective range, but
within their range, they hit harder.

Of course, nothing bruises quite like a Baldar Blunt. :)

Sluggy!