ARCH - What If

Patrick J. Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Fri Mar 23 11:19:44 PST 2001

> 	One event at 30 doesn't give it a mainstream activity.  I'm not
> arguing that the activity doesn't have growing numbers but the way you
> wrote this make it sounds like based on this one activity, archery is very
> active but I don't think it's mainstream .... yet..  When you compare
> archery say to rapier fighting, then it really is a more minor activity.

Ah, but Rapier fighting was a minor activity at one time itself.  The Order
of the White Scarf has been the single greatest promoter of Rapier activity
in visibility and creating advocates for the form.

At what point do you decide that something has crossed the lines from minor
to major?  Who provides that litmus test?  And if you recognize it, what
does it harm?  Does it dilute the prestige of other Grant level awards?  No.
Does it provide a focus for people who are working in that area? Yes.  Does
it create interest in an area that is extremely prevalent in the Middle Ages
and touched all levels of Society?  Yes.

> 	I don't see that much activity.  I do see something that many of
> you are forgetting.
> 	There are two kinds of archery in this Kingdom.....
> static/stationary/target and combative/dynamic fighting archery.
> Because of
> this you don't get a good following or support from the community.  It
> makes it hard to understand why the group needs a GOA for archery when
> because of the split it is conceived as a two level activity.

I'm sorry, but it think you are splitting hairs to make a point.  Someone
who fights exclusively with a pole arm considers sword and shield a
completely different form.  Someone who fights with a spear considers
florentine an alien concept.  Yet they are all defined by the tools of the
trade--armor and rattan.  Archery is defined by the tools of the trade--bows
and arrows.  Any other argument is just a obfuscation of the underlying
argument.

> 	On one hand the combat archery is much more visible.... and rather
> than create an award specifically for that  - I feel it would be easier to
> start working at getting archers included in Falcons, and Centurians  than
> to create another style.
> 	For me, and I do admit to a little bias, I think the stationary
> target archery should be integrated into the Arts and Sciences awards,
> because it reflects a science the same that armor making does as well.
> People need to push at getting it recognized more than having a special
> cookie for them.  I know people who only do archery seem to want their own
> special award, but I'm beginning to think in a very odd way that
> that harms
> the SCA, in forming mindsets about class and activival strata.
> The SCA is rife with snobbery.....(grin).

I agree that target archery is an art form.  I also agree that combat
archery is a combat form.

***However--until you have an archery range set up at the Arts and Sciences
Competition and combat arrows are allowed on the List Field, they are a
separate area by definition of how they are presented to the Kingdom.

Pet