ARCH - Archery awards

HL Agnarr Thorvaldsson agnarr at apex2000.net
Fri Mar 23 13:00:21 PST 2001

OK my turn on the soapbox:
Oh, sorry Gilli; but I'm using my full allotment of typing words for the month all at once (Grin).

Although I agree to a point that a CA can be elevated into the Centurions, I have always believed that the Original Charter of that Order as it was first read at Gulf War was for it to be an order to recognize those individuals that are LEADERS of others on the battlefield.  Therefore in my Opinion an archer should be doing more then just "killing the enemy"; if they are going to receive this award. They should also be leading others; Giving Good tactical Commands; and generally making their unit the most organized and successful one on the Field.

For all other archers (CA and Target):  If they are great Archers but not being leaders on the battlefield then the King's Archer's Award of a Sable Falcon are more appropriate choices in my personal view.  (Lord Talon of Blackthorne has received a Sable Falcon for his Skill on the field with a Bow, and our Kingdom Archery Marshall Lord Fearghus is also a recipient of the Kings Archer Award for his skill with a Bow so these two have happened just to name an example and can happen in the future, should the Crown receive Recommendations and have the Archer Pointed out to the Crown.

As for the others choices of Grant level Awards that are available in this Kingdom:

Star of Merit:
It should IMHO be given to those that support Archery in the Service end of this activity. (Local and Regional Officers, constantly runs ranges. and a hundred other administrative duties Ect.) And BTW these topics were specifically stated as to some of the reasons why I was given this Award by the Crown when they gave me this Award in 98. HL Gilli has also received this Award for his work in the Archery Community. So again this has happened.

Iris of Merit:
This is given to those Archers for their Artistic Skill in the manufacturing and making of making Archery items, (lets see this can cover: Bow-making, building period Arrows, Fletching, making period Archery Gloves and tabs, Bracers, Quivers and a bunch of other Archery related Items,)  Again HL Gilli has received this Award for his skill in this area. So this has happened as well.

And just a quick question here how many are aware that a Peerage level Award has been made in this Kingdom for her Skill with making Archery Related Items?  That's right I'm talking about Mistress Ascelyn Balstene, the Baroness of Bonwicke, (She's a Laurel). And if you want more information on a given aspect of archery she's a great source to tap into.  And how many on this list has sit and talked archery with her?  She has given me some additional places to look into the task I had of documenting the actual use of both Cresting and Splicing Feathers in period. So I will be able to document these parts of Arrow-building for my A&S entices in the very Near Future. (grin)

Since we have these activities from the Crown of Ansteorra already available to us and on the books then maybe we the archery community as a whole we need to do something else: and that's promote those Archer's that you feel are worthy of ANY award to the Crown with Award recommendations.  If all we do is gripe about not having this or that award then we are in effect defeating what we are really wanting. (a slap on the back for a job well done.) Cause we (the Archery Community as a whole) Will appear as sniffling crybabies instead of being seen as a much-deserving and overlooked member of Anstoerra.

However, should the Crown decide to go ahead an create a new Grant level or even a AoA award then great that's more recognition for us in the long run. And as an Ansteorran I will go with the wishes, and decrees of our Crown.

But as a sidenote with this whole topic of "We Deserve this new Award" I do fear that the day will come when it seems to the rest of the Kingdom that we (the archers) are doing nothing but chasing Awards and not trying to promote the SCA itself.

I remain as always, in service to the Kingdom and the Dream.

HL Agnarr Thorvaldsson
whose now wearing his flame proofed brees.