ARCH - What If

N.D. Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 23 13:37:51 PST 2001

>My point was an earlier argument was that Archery should be covered under
>the existing structure because target archery should be an art, and combat
>archery should be combat.   The fact that the Chivalric community considers
>this as a completely separate art precludes it from being part of it.  It
>was for that reason the White Scarf was created for the rapier community.
>The fact that performance on the target archery field is not considered in
>Arts and Sciences competitions precludes it from involvement in that area.
	I agree with your theory and your points.... You always make good
sense.  I just don't think it's a reality .... yet.   I'm starting to worry
we're either boring people or ignoring them with this conversation since it
pops up on a semi-regular basis.    My concern is I think more
philosophical.  I'm afraid that the push for making more awards is never
ending and continous.... by your comments we should give subcultures their
own awards... middle eastern personas, Mongols (? - grin)
	And my argument about the rapier is that the hurt did two things.
Made rapier a viable subculture by isolation and hurt their growth and
development by segregation and I don't care for segregation.  (We won't go
into that argument... on this.)    I lived through the entire process and
watched it's early death and then the resurrection like a phoenix.
	My take is promotion and making people now and then letting the
natural flow develop.

>1.  It requires it's own administrative structure, and that structure is
>already in place and has matured over the years  (the archery marshallate).
 	So do Heralds but we don't have an award for heraldry experts
(hmmm, maybe the Pelican).

>4.  When it does interact with other subcultures within the SCA, it impacts
>them in a sizeable manner. (It is such a telling force upon the battlefield
>that it is usually limited to only certain scenarios in order to not
>infringe on the enjoyment of the Chivalric fighters).
	WEll, one on one does also demand that it remain one on one.
Having worked with the ole sensei with him on pole arm and me on bow and
arrow, I'd rather invest in a pair of good running shoes.

>By saying that we don't need any more Grant level awards you purposely limit
>your ability to change as society and people's perceptions change.  And for
>what purpose, one less possible award given away at Court?  Can archery fit
>in under any number of other areas?  Yes, if you are willing to place it
>there and  **change the perception of the entire populous to match yours.
>Even though most look at archery as something completely different than
>combat or Arts and Sciences.**  This is also despite the fact that
>historical documentation of the art and the SCA's societal dealing with
>archers does not support the idea of lumping them in with another area.

Not at all.  I perceive that when there is truly a need for one - one will
develop.  When I first got into the SCA, there was no arts awards, and
certainly nothing on the grant level for almost anything..... During the
time I have been in (and somedays it feels longer than others) Awards
filling in the void appear...
Sorry to sound New Age but I don't think archery is there yet to have that
void fulfilled an dwhat you could hink about is promotion within the
current situation to mass the people to be able to affect change.  Chaos is
change and sometimes isn't as good as controlled chaos.

Clare