ARCH - First Knight

Wilim Penbras wilim.penbras at pandora.org
Fri Mar 23 15:28:29 PST 2001

Ya know Gilli, I think I'm genuinely starting to like you.  You're usually being a pain in the A** but at least that motivates people to get up off it.<G>

I think you're getting too frustrated over this issue.  Somethings take a WHOLE load of time.  We have people that deserve awards and we have a large support structure.  Neither of these mean that we are at a point where we are going to get a Grant level award.

We have people that deserve awards because they've got the passion to work hard and they're not being noticed by the mainstream community because they are off to the side at most all events.  How many people that aren't archery marshals have a clue what kind of work goes into setting up a range or weekly practices or the maintenance in keeping the target butts in good shape?  Not many.

We have an infrastructure because without it we couldn't gaurantee safety.  Of all the things we do in the SCA archery is one thing that if it went wrong people would die.

Both of those are great things but I'm going to bet that the majority of our Archers have been shooting 5 years or less.

Maybe, just maybe,  while we've been working our tails off we've been grousing about awards and recognition too much.  Everything changes one step at a time.  I really don't care if who ever is on the throne right now loves archery or not.  I don't know if Jason has the passion in his heart.  I don't know if Duncan does.  Timo was good to us as Archers.  I don't think he has a passion for it.  But he knows what poundage he shoots and he can shoot the gold @ 20yds with the rest of us.  He gave us his time and let me at least know that as an Ansteorran and an Archer my passion was worth some of his time and respect.  Jason I think has been caught up in preparation for War and will hopefully find time at some events soon to spend time with the archers and pay us those same respects.  Duncan,  Well,  Duncan is just cool.  I'm sure he and HRH Larissa will support archers in whatever reasonable request they might have.

What I do know, my Baron, Galen supports archery and will always be there with Advice and assistance whenever We ask.  There are four more mebers of the populace of Elfsea that will either become full fledged archers or atleast be able to see archers as equal members of the society.  One you've already met in the person of Ldy Eleanor Cleavely.  The rest I'll introduce at Springfaire or Warlord.

I guess what I'm saying is that what archer's believe seems largely irrelavent.  I've had non-archer's ask me why we don't have more awards.  I've told them to ask their Baron or thier Majesties.  When the time is right and we are deserving the populace will give us whatever reward we deserve.

I would never be so presumptuous as to tell his Majesty that we deserve anything.  I shoot because I am an archer.  I help people because it makes me happy.  I craft arrows and Leatherwork because I like to create.  Being recognized as being good is nice but no words or paper from anyone will change how or why I shoot.

Well,  I'm starting to babble again.  Let me just close with saying that yes,  an AoA level award is probably in order and I will start rallying the general populace around that idea.  I've never actually seen alot printed as to the workings or reasoning behind the Centurians but I know a few I can talk to and maybe find out what is keeping archery out of that order.  And yes,  let me know the next time you want to submit someone for a King's Archer and I'll see if I can add a few voices to your's.

In Service,
     Wilim Penbras