ARCH - What If

Tyr Tjuguskegg tjuguskegg at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 23 17:06:48 PST 2001

Well this is all very true, I have been told many condecending remarks, when
it comes to the way people view archers in the SCA, not all I assure you but
some actually downgrade archers. When I first got involved in the SCA a few
years ago I was interested in the crossbow, and the first person I spoke to
about it said, oh no archers are the pit of evil in the renasicance arena,
archers were not considered honorable, only someone who fights with a big
sword is considered honorable. SO I never picked up a crossbow at all. In
fact I never went to the archery list field, never once. In fact until about
a month ago I would never have even entertained the thought of being a
combat archer or a target archer because I felt no self worth in using a
bow/crossbow. One because it is not my goal to be the best archer in the
known world, and also because archery to me is something to play at, not to
perfect really. So as far as rewards well I don't expect any. BUT!! there
are some who take it very seriously and it is for them that I speak. So let
me tell you a story about myself that starts about a month ago. My wife
decided she might want to be a white diamond. It stemmed from going to an
archery practise and shooting a bow for fun one night, not because she
really wanted too, because one of our daughters wanted to and she decided to
give it a whirl. She was hooked, she bought two bows 3 days later. She got
her bow in the mail (she is an ebay junky) and we went to the archery supply
down the road. Still I had no desire to be an archer, why because I am a
barbarian and I didn't want to be a dishonorable Viking warrior, doesn't fit
my personna ya see, and everyone that knows me knows "I am the evil twin."
so I didn't want to get a bad reputation of being an archer. So that day we
got home and she was having a hard time with her bow slapping her wrist. So
I proceeded to help her get a better grip on the bow and straighten her arm
so it wouldn't hurt her all the time, well I got that gleam in my eye, and
she said your going to take my bow aren't you. So I did, (I got her another
one.. grin) So the next week I was Combat authorized and I left for gulf
wars, my first war, and my first fight. I kept thinking to myself that it
was ok to be the little boy that plays the flute in the marching band, and
that being an archer was not weak, nonbarbaric. To tell you the truth I
still had my apprehension about being the 6'5" barbarian pansy...it's not
just about what people think, I just didn't feel comfortable. I mean I am
truly Viking and barbaric...some say evil. So playing with little stick and
string just didn't feel right. The first day we were there we drank so no
reason to worry there, the second day we actually got to set up camp ..no
rain. Finally on the fourth day I got to suit up in armor and walk to the
battle field, it was a wonderful feeling, but I still walked with my bow
behind my back. I was ashamed. I walked on though because the thought of
being able to get out on that field and participate overcame the feel of
embarassment. Everyone teased me the whole way there, and I felt it deep. My
determination to serve the King and Queen (cough) prevailed though, right
until I got to the field and they said to me, are you seige or archer, I
claimed archer, and the remark was "alright we need one more body on the
field", with a snicker the man walked away. Now I was agravated, embarassed
and felt very much like I was not wanted nor needed on the field. My friends
kept telling me it was great that I could get out to war and not to worry,
cheered me on, but inside I was ready to leave. After all I was just a white
diamond, noone would miss me. I pursued very relentlessly, and I never
really let anyone know I was feeling ashamed/embarrassed, I have never been
one to let anyone see me sweat. Do ya get the picture, it really kind of
sucked up to this point, and for someone to degrade the art of archery is
really not very inspiring. I finally got on the battle field and when the
tough grunting warriors in front of me pursued on and crashed with a
thunderous shield to shield collision, I still felt slighted, arrows started
to fly and I stooped behind the line, probably 50 feet back and every once
in a while a let one fly precisely where I wanted it to land but no one
fell, I placed it well and well it went but no one fell. They looked at me
and snarled and went on, no one cared. No one recognized me as a threat at
all, so I was that barabarian pansy. I failed. I got mad and drew closer, 20
feet or so, let one fly again and again. Still no one fell, finally I
stepped in and well maybe just shy of 15 feet I let one fly to the ribs of a
nice bare spot (no armor) right to the ribs, right to the left side, pleanty
of draw and maybe a touch more, I was tired of not having the kill, I was
tired of not being a deterent to life. I was pushed into it I swear, and
finally a man came to me obviously more honorable than I, for he called my
score and shook my hand. I felt bad....for a second, then gleefull. I killed
one dead I thought. But I was still ashamed. I cheated. I lost all that I
had. A man without honor is nothing. No matter what weapon he chooses. The
Trimarian had more honor than I and it ate me up. No one knew that until
now. I prolly shouldn't take it so hard right, I can justify it all day
long, maybe I was 15 feet, and maybe I didn't really draw to 29 or 30 inches
creating my 30# bow to be more like 40 to 44. It definitely taught me more
of a lesson than any one thing I have ever learned from any marshall on the
field. Sure there was a lot of Rhino-hiding. And there was a lot of extra
hard hitters coming from the enemy, but I had no excuse. SO when I went back
to the sidelines I said "damnit why did noone take those flying spears
seriously"...the answer was "no one ever does, thats why they say your just
another body on the field". In the end I had a lot of fun despite some set
backs and I really got over being embarrassed, and one thing really made me
realize just how I felt/feel now. The last fort battle on Saturday I was
still shooting those bolts all over, I ran a seige engine for a while, I met
a lot of really cool folks. I made a ballista with a half ton leaf spring
that shoots a bolt about 100 yards (or more) and I sat around the campfire
listening to beautiful voices sing song. But next year, I am gonna have a
double headed axe and a heavy sword (florentine) and I am gonna pound some
heads....I am gonna kick some butt....why because no one respects a bow and
arrow, why because when my 6'5" butt comes down on their skull they won't be
able to laugh it off. That is what the warriors respect. The difference is I
am gonna stand in the distance with my bow and sail a few before I crush
them.

Tyrfingr "Tyr" Tjuguskegg
of Clan Grepyr
The Barbarian Horde of Gate's Edge