ARCH - Grant level award

Dewart, Charles R. --G3 Contractor (Anteon Corp) Charles.Dewart at hood.army.mil
Mon Mar 26 06:18:51 PST 2001

I was just re-reading some of theses emails.  Don't know how I missed this
one; but it's a good one.

I must say thank you for your kind words.

But awards particularly polled awards (which I hope ours to be, if/when it
should be) is a bench mark in the individuals SCA career, if you will.  It
tells the recipient and the rest of the world, that those who have gone
before think that person is now ready to walk with them as their equal.

You are most correct.  The award follows the respect.  All the award does is
make it official.

From: Scott Powers [mailto:spowers at telepath.com]
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 6:31 PM
To: ansteorra-archery at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: ARCH - Grant level award

>Maybe, just maybe,  while we've been working our tails off we've been
>grousing about awards and recognition too much...
>  I shoot because I am an archer.  I help people because it makes me
>happy.  I craft arrows and Leatherwork because I like to create.  Being
>recognized as being good is nice but no words or paper from anyone will
>change how or why I shoot.
>Wilim Penbras

I *really* try to stay out of on-line controversies, but I decided to weigh
in this one time.

There is a widespread belief that respect follows awards; that when you get
an award, then you suddenly get more respect.  I think that only holds true
when visiting regions where they do not know you, and then only in a
limited sense.  Just show up at Coronation with a grant level award and see
if anyone even bats an eye at you.

I personally believe that it is the other way around; that awards follow
respect.

I really like what Wilim said above.  Do any of us shoot archery because we
are chasing awards?  I hope not, and I am sure no one here is like that.
We shoot because this is a way we can enjoy ourselves while enriching our
lives.

I respect Gilli for his hard work, dedication, and skill.  I respect Robert
and Eadric and Sebastion and Talon and Fearghus and Morgan and many others
for the same reasons.  Will any of that change if they suddenly get a grant
level archery award?  No.  Do any of you think that your level of respect
for someone will increase if they receive another award?

Awards are nice to get, and official recognition is something we would all
like to have.  But I honestly believe that we as a Society put way too much
emphases on awards.

That said, if it would make that many people happy to have a grant level
archery award, then I see no harm in it, and would be willing to support
it.  I just don't see that it is going to make that much difference either.

Rumil