ARCH - Academy of the Bow

Sylvrfalcn at aol.com Sylvrfalcn at aol.com
Mon Mar 26 16:57:31 PST 2001

   Please pardon my ignorance, but when and where are we talking about for
this event?  I'm very much looking forward to being there, but need to know
when so I can deconflict it with my military duties.
    I would be quite tickled to conduct a class on making hand twisted
"Flemish" bowstrings.  The class would take approximately 1 1/2 hours,  I'll
bring the necessary materials, and other than that all I need is a clear work
space and perhaps some chairs for folks that don't bring their own.
    I don't know for sure if he made them himself, but I do know Walter the
Fletcher shoots some very nice footed shaft arrows. 'Course he needs extra
strong arrows with that 65 lb. long bow of his ;-).
    I just bought an antique drawknife and reground/honed it back to life.
As soon as my bow stave arrives I can set right to work on a new bow.
Depending upon what stage of completion "Academy of the Bow" finds it in,
I'll bring it out along with whatever resources, references, etc. my research
yields.  My goal is to make my own period bow and arrows to shoot period
scores with this year.  Laminated bows shoot quite nicely, but for me nothing
can match the feel of a bow carved from a single stave of wood (shot a
practice IKAC score of 235 with a hickory longbow last week).
  On a parting note, one class I would love to see, and participate in, is
teaching young archers, who may have never handled a bow before, how to
shoot.  There's nothing better than to see their smiles and know that the
spirit of archery will live on for generations to come.

    In Service,
Robert of Yorkshire